*Nearly* got a female betta...

I was browsing the tanks at one of my LFS's, and saw this longish bodied, fairly short finned fish - with a dark bluey purple body, and lighter red to fins, top and bottom, with fins almost the length of the body, in with a couple of panchax, some tetras, etc... none of the names on the tank fitted - and there were three like this - I figured maybe I'd stumbled on a killifish of some sort, so I ended up checking with one of the staff... turns out they're three female betta's, that just happened to get mixed in there... I'm still considering one... I guess the easiest question to start with is what *don't* they get along with??? :lol:

They are probably best thought of as a bit gentle, so avoid things that'll boof them around, like goldfish and large mollies etc. You could probably also rule out most cichlids, with the exception of dwarfs.

Do keep in mind that they can be very aggressive, depending on their breeding and raising etc, so avoiding tasty-looking things like fancy guppies and glass shrimp is probably a good idea.

Really, if you think of them as a male betta and remove the requirement to avoid fin-nippers, you should be right.

Archived