Empire Gudgeon

VickiPS

I picked up this guy at the lfs yesterday. He was in a tank with assorted rainbowfish, and was obviously a gudgeon, but he didn't really look like an empire gudgeon. He was just dull browny-coloured, no brick red anywhere, and only blurry, faint and indistinct banding on his dorsal and anal fins.

The lfs owner wasn't sure what species he was, but I took him anyway and put him the river cube tank downstairs. Today, I wouldn't have believed it was the same fish. :devil:

I couldn't get a clear pic for the life of me, but I had to post one to give an idea of the spectacular colour on this guy. He is blazing, neon scarlet! I've never seen such an intense colour, except in reef fish, and certainly not on my other empire gudgeons. (Something has taken a big chomp out of his dorsal, too :devil: ).

empire_gudgeon03.jpg

I've got a pair in another tank (with some PBEs) who've done nothing romantically so far. I think there is another empire gudgeon in the tank this guy's in -- bit hard to tell, as I chucked a whole heap of small feeders in a while ago just to see how they'd turn out :devil:

There's mostly firetails, one wierdo who looks kind of like a cross between a gudgeon and a platy (if you can imagine that), and I think I spotted another empire gudgeon today, but not sure of the sex. Oh, and there's 8 or 9 assorted rainbowfish. Hopefully I can make sure he's got a girly!

Good to hear :devil:. I hope you have some luck breeding him - it'd be great to see some selected colour forms of gudgeons :lol:. If I was allowed to have a big tank in the house I'd be setting up a community tank of SEQ local natives with a view to breeding them. Maybe when the kids get bigger :devil: .

Archived