Barracks!

jumper

Finally finished up this tiny barracks. have attached the pictures.

total cost (excluding shelf) AUD$ 89.00

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the two most expensive things out of this are the shelf and the glass "gutters" shelf i think is about 40 odd dollars and the glass gutter @ 20 each. 13 mm piping for the "drip" system and 25 mm for the guttering.

i may also have filled in too much water in the sump (i'm gonna be away so i thought it might be a good idea). the "bucket" contains filter media 3 layers, noodles, and a small amount of shell grit.

water looks brown due to IAL extract.

i can control the amount of water for each shelf so they dont get "swirled" . Which brings me to a question, how much flow is best ??? i have reduced the flow to about 1/2 of what it can output. At this flow , gunk wont get cleaned out each bottle. under this experiment at 1/3 closed gunk flow out of the bottles "perfectly" but i think its too much water movement for the fishes?

right! i will decrease the flow, leaving 1/3 open then. that way water should be really sssloowww, but providing its fresh, its all the matters. on another note anything else i should add into the sump?? never done a sump before, maybe there is something i should add?

Looking good! I put filter wool in mine just to help catch bits of food or gunk before it goes through the bio balls etc. that way I can just pluck off the dirty & put down clean when needed. I only have my flow set so that the fish goes a slight whirl when it swims infront of the tube, & down the bottom they have to 'swim' against it a little but not up the top... exercised & keep fit & have to use themselves. I just siphon the gunk from the bottom every few days or when needed.

Howlsn, yup i did the same there is two layers of filter wool on top and one at the bottom. In between the ceramic + shells, sit in. its sorta el cheapo version of a cannister i think? plus there is heaps of air exposure for the good ole bacteria (i hope only the good ones). Bren, yup , there is two holes in the jars made from a smaller size screw driver. the idea was to be able to keep male juvies in the system as well and not allow them to "take a squeeze". the rest is just gravity itself. i have tested the "gutters + piping" under the max amount of water allowed to be filled on the top shelf and everything holds in place, no leaks. the only weird thing i have noticed is that 6 out of 10 of them look a bit stunned? or is it their way of saying "whats going on" ? everything was cleaned prior instalation.

plasdene and i got a box (48 i think) plus lids total cost i think it was almost 60 bucks. without lid i think its 1.80 per bottle. i got the lid the first time around as they make "travelling" easier plus they can double as "spawning material" :fish:

Archived