Cycled Filter And Large Water Changes

splendidbetta

Some breeders seem to perform large water changes (80%) in their fry tanks, and apparently without harm to the biological filtration system. Whenever I performed a large water change in my fry tanks, my reward would be an ammonia or nitrite spike. Are water changes supposed to affect the biological filtration? Is there a way to perform a large water change without harming the filter? My guess is that there is no way, and that it would be better to replace a smaller amount (say, 10-20%) daily, (once the fry tank has been gradually filled after the fry are a couple weeks old).

If you do large changes every day, the ammonia has veery little time to spike, and what is left of the filtration keeps it all in check. Discus keepers do a similar thing, never been certain how they keep it cycled but the changes happen with such regularity I don't know if it matters.

the bacteria colonises surfaces rather than the water column, so theoretically while some may live in the water column doing a large change shouldn't damage the colony unless the time taken for the change allows a significant proportion of the surfaces to dry out.

Archived