Pepermint Britlenose

sammc

I am interested in getting a couple of peppermint britlenose but I have discovered there isn't much info on them anywhere. I was wondering if anyone could help me out? i am hoping to breed them in the long run HELP PLEASE! :dontknow:

I have a few peppermints and find they are no trouble at all. The only thing I noticed is that they seem to grow a little slower than the common ones. Mine have a breeding log and I'm hoping they will breed eventually. I keep mine in a two foot tank with ten female bettas, set at 27 degrees, filtered, lots of plants and no aeration. They seem happy, hardy little BN's, and look really amazing!

Hmmm... I'll have to think about this a bit...... I've had them for maybe 6 months, they were only tiny when I got them (just under 3 cms) and now, the male would be 4cms, the female just a bit bigger than that. Compare that to my female common BN, who I got at the same time and same size (maybe smaller), is now 7cms! So they haven't grow too much, but I like them little, they look really cute! They might be 9 months old perhaps? I would think all their other care and breeding factors are exactly the same as common BN's. Just make sure the pair your buy aren't half-bred with commons, there's a bit of cross breeding going on I noticed. Peppermints should have extremely black bodies, with even white spotting and a signifcant amount of even white edging on the dorsal and caudal fins. Now get out there and buy some!! :( Cheers L :(

Leela don't go sexing these peppermints just yet, especially at that size. These guys can be extremely hard to sex, even when reached adult hood. They are not like common bristlenose, where you just simply look for the bristles on the head/mouth of the fish. With peppermints although males do ghet bristles its very common that they dont get a full beard of bristles, sometiems just afew. Also taken into consideration if the bristle theory fails is the shape of the body of the fish and also size. Anyways the only time you will know whether you have a male or female is once they breed :( but be warned, it takes roughly 3-4 years for these guys to fully mature and breed unlike commons. hope that clears up some things. Richard

Hi Richard, I appreciate your knowledge. However, one of my little ones already has bristles, and a long, thin shaped head, so I'm pretty sure this is a male. The other is a much shorter, more squat shape with a broad flat head, so I'm hoping its a female. I understand the sexing is difficult, but its no bother to me whether they are both males. :( I just like the look of them.

Guest bozzz

there is some info out there if u know where to look try www.plecofanatics.com they are an international forum but there is also an Australia only classifieds section which is alot of help, and there is a lot of info on breeding and everything else that you wanted to know and if it isnt there just ask in the forums some1 there is bound to know thanx bozzz

Archived