Chocolate Gourami

BDP

Posted Image

I had never seen a chocolate gourami at a pet shop before so when i saw this little guy at the lfs I had to get him. I've been taking some photos of him just incase he doesnt survive so I thought I'd share

They are notoriously hard to keep and spook easily - from my own experience too. They are so gorgeous that last year when I saw some I bought 4 - within two weeks 3 were dead, for no apparent reason, and the last one died shortly after. One day they are eating fine, the next day they are floating :P But good luck with your one!

I have heard the same and haven't tried any for that reason. They love VERY acidic/soft water and I think if you treat them the same way you do Blue Rams you might have a good chance :P

Yeah i knew they werent easy to keep alive which is why i just bought the one. Halszka, they sure do spook easily! I've had this one just one two weeks now and for the first week if you so much as opened the tank hood and/or removed the glass lid he'd dive off to a corner and go almost white. He seems alot better now and doesnt get spooked anymore, he comes swimming up for food just like the other fish, the only stress he has is my betta who will chase him if he gets too close, but aside from one nip to the tail on the first night i had him, the gourami has escaped every time and doesnt seem too worried, he almost seems to taunt the fighter from time to time but the gourami is much to quick to catch. Faewyn, as for the water its 6.6PH and 3dH so its in the realm of being ok from what ive read, still i do expect to wake up and see him floating :P but so far so good!

think it just depends on the fishes temprement? the betta will flare at the gourami and chase it off if it get too close but the gourami definately doesnt worry the betta, its not a huge tank (60cm) but they dont come into contact all that often. Chocolate gourami only get to about 2.5cm long from what ive read which is what it is now so i dont think things should change.

Archived