Spacebowl

Callatya

I spotted this thing yesterday on my travels.

Its a 500-700mL round bowl lit with what appears to be a LED light. It slots into this little plastic contraption and well, the fish they had in them were hanging on the surface.

All in all, I think I preferred Aquababies as this one gives the impression that its a good system, with light that heats etc. I mean, the fish can turn and flare and I assume it advocates good food as there is no mention of growing plants in it, but I'm a bit concerned about the changing light colours and the lack of air exchange on the surface.

Has anyone used one of these long term or known anyone who has one? Are they successful? know of any ways the system can be improved?

Piccie from random seller (this seller is advocating good feeding and appears to have considered the welfare implications, and it was the only image of it I could find)

Please be careful with this topic guys :scared:

I think I know what you mean (I can't get the pic to work) and they have started to sell them in my lfs. The staff I talked to about them were a bit skeptical, even they acknowledge that there isn't much room in there. Personally I wouldn't buy one. There's barely enough room for the fish to turn around, not even 1L of water, and the light is not enough of a bonus for me to even that out. Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression LEDs don't give off heat? (that's if it is an LED)

An LED of the type they use in these things won't give off any noticable heat. I think its just an RGB LED with a circuit to cycle the colours. Personally I dont think theres nearly enough room in it but they have one at the lfs with a nice crowntail in it and its been happy and healthy for about 2 months now, obviously its looked after.

No, no heat from the LED, but in general terms people often suggest heating betta bowls with lights, and it could give that impression (I just realised my phrasing above does the same, bad me :giggle:) There is enough space for a good flare, my main concern was the gas exchance, but 2 months is a good length of time, so it can't be too bad then. Is their bowl filled to the top?

Archived