Antsy Male Fighter?

BDP

Hello, I have a male CT betta who spawned about 3 months back, during the spawn he made the most pathetic bubblenest and was constantly knocking eggs from it as he turned around after depositing them in there (but kudos for the effort!). He had the usual 'depression' period after removing him from the tank but just recently he has begun making bubble nests everywhere! I have a banana lilly and he has made three substantial bubblenests under three of the lilly pads plus occasionally makes another against the corner of the tank. I recently added a chocolate gourami (I know they are a fragile little fish but I had never seen one in the shop before and my tank conditions are just about right so you know.. :yes: ) and while the bag was floating in the tank he made a nest against it! He chases the gourami around the tank a bit but apart from a small nick out of the gouramis tail, he usually just sidles up and chases him off without attacking. Is he just insane, REALLY keen to breed again or is this typical? also will he get less territorial with the gourami over time? im not exactly worried as he seems healthy but more curious as ive never had a betta do this before! sorry for the long post!

Hi BDP, I've heard that gouramis and bettas don't make good tank companions. That might be because they are both labrynth fish but I couldn't say for sure. It could be that they are both territorial fish in their own right. A few other fish as distractions might make a difference but in general I think you have to be careful with what tank companions you have with bettas -- or any fish for that matter. Pat.

Yep I've done the same and all went well. Kept female bettas with two female gouramis and one male plus other odds and sods. The only aggro fish in the tank were the angels and they just hate each other not the others. Sadly the gouramis have since passed on but they were never really any trouble. But like with anything you have to keep an eye out for trouble makers. Had a red tip black shark (or are they rainbow sharks??) once, that attacked everything in sight especially a pair of gudgeons. I removed the gudgeons and gave them away thinking it would stop the shark (whatever it was) only to find the little bugger just changed targets. Gave the &%$# back to the LFS in exchange for some plants and my mate still has the gudgeons and they are peaceful and going great guns. Go figure :P My LFS guy also once tried to tell me to never keep gouramis with bettas because the gouramis can pass on a particular disease to bettas?? Have no idea what he was talking about and I certainly never had any problems but has anyone heard of that? Maybe being species related might increase the chances of diseases being passed on? Pat.

Well the nest building was happening weeks before i put the gourami in the tank, the only other fish in there area bristlenose cat, a bronze cory and 5 harlequin rasboras, none of which have ever had any conflict with each other or the betta and seeing as he was very gentle with the female while spawning i thought id try the gourami, the gourami turns out to be male of course (D'oh) but i couldnt tell that till he was home and had coloured up a bit. I've heard in the past that gourami can be a bit territorial like the bettas but so far its not so bad, maybe its just too small a tank? (2 foot) but the betta wont seek out the gourami or actively chase it, just if it catches a glimpse of it, it will flare up and sidle up till the gourami heads away. Thanks for the advice though, what do you think hes upto building all the nests though? just lonely or something? :P

Archived