Dayak Standard?

Bren MacFish

I may be wrong, but I think the term Dayak was used by one breeder to describe a tri-color/multi fish. I don't know whether there is an actual standard as it seems like it is just a strain name, like Faith's (Bettatalk) Gold Crusaders, used to describe her copper gold strain...

Given that the dayak is an ancient borneo tribe I thought it would have been longer established than that by Malaysian breeders. I'm glad you think it is tri-coloured because, all my youngsters have more white on them than this photo (their grandad). Do you think it is the sky blue as opposed to the royal blue which differentiates them from the Thai flag? The royal blue is prettier (I have both). Basically I have 9 small male dayaks and no way to tell which one's are good (one is a double tail too!).

As far as I know, its a pinky red and a mid blue with alternating banding (tri or multi) on the fins and grizzling on the body. I think if it goes to red and royal with less mixing of colours it becomes Thai flag, at least phenotypically. I guess you'd get both dayak and thai flag phenotypes out of the one line. Where is our terminology guru?

A better discription is bi-colour or multicolour.

Thai Flag and dayak both started as breeder descriptions of the colour. My original understanding was that a thai-flag had a clear band of red white and blue on the fins with preferably a white body. Dayak was a fish that was sky blue with a red fringe to it's fins, it was often grizzled, bit like my ex-betta Pegasus or the one pictured above:

Posted Image

Unfortunately the names have been misused and so the definitions changed and soforth, we end up with issues similar to that of the MG debate. Some even describe the red pigment as red-wash although I'm not certain if this is a fact. You can get more info here:

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/pag...?articleid=1417

BF and patterns are an interest of mine, I am by no means saying I'm 100% correct but it is my perspective on what I have seen. One downside is that there are heaps of imaginative terms that come with unusual patterns. Many of which are nothing more then marbled or multicoloured fish which will not breed true.

JL might be able to clarify a little better then me.

Archived