feeding worms to fry

ineke

It has been recommended several times to me to feed my fry cut uplive  black worms. I tried cutting them on  a chopping board with a knife and made a fine mess!!! However the the fry did like it! I don't know if there is a good way to cut worms -it's a bit cruel too!- but needs must. Today I put a good couple of pinches of worms into a flat bottomed medicine cup and attacked them with a pair of scissors snipping and cutting in all directions. I put the resultant mess into a worm feeder in the tank and the fry went crazy. The worms were mostly cut quite small and the fry excitedly swam away with their treasure. A few bigger pieces of worm did make it into the tank but hopefully no one will be too greedy and end up choking on it.

Is there a proper or easy way to chop up live worms? It's not something you can casually bring up in conversation!!! 

Cheers

Ineke

• 3 weeks later...

Don't understand what's going on with the grindals. They're not multiplying as usual. With my current batches of fry I've started using cut up freeze dried blackworms. They really seem to wolf this down. Easier to cut up than the live ones. I just scissor through the whole container. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ineke,

I'm a big subscriber to transitioning fry from grindals onto chopped black worm. It's not a pretty process and I suggest you listen to loud music to muffle out the silent screams of the worms (their screams under-water as they are stalked and killed are equally damaging) ...but I'm no vegan - so I acknowledge the sacrifice and move on.

I use a fantastic pair of dental or aquascaping tweezers to pluck out a bunch of worms and place them on my plastic chopping board (kept exclusively for this task), and I use old school razor blades to rapidly slice and dice. 

The tweezers are then good to dish up the now shortened worms, that still wiggle and inspire the hunt drive from little fish still transitioning to a new food. (I would have jarred mine by now, so the tweezers help with portion control for me too)

I hope that's given you an alternative, otherwise the scissors in a cup would have worked well too. 

• 4 weeks later...