Hi from Belgrave, Melbourne, interested in Bettas and aquascaping

tsmpaul

Hi! My name's Paul. I don't have an aquarium yet, but have been reading up, watching youtube tutorials, reading forums, etc. I want to set up a male Betta in my first tank, but before I do anything, I was hoping to ask some questions of fellow Melbourne aquarists, particularly info on things like managing temperature (some parts of the year, my place can be 10 - 12 degrees in the morning, and I put my heater on and bring it up to 18 for the day, then overnight it's back down to 10 - 12 degrees again), and to read about other people's set ups, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, I meant that the room's heater is on and off, not the heater in the aquarium. I was reading that fluctuations in the ambient room temperature could affect the aquarium's temperature, especially if it's a small aquarium, and that aquarium heaters might struggle to maintain an even temperature. If I need to keep it around 28 degrees inside the tank, in a small 20 litre tank, how well would an aquarium heater work at keeping the temperature stable, in a room that drops to 10 degrees many nights of the year? It's just I was reading in a book on bettas, and it said there shouldn't be more than 5 degree changes in their water's temperature during any 24 hour period without upsetting the fish.

Ah - I stopped heating my Fishroom because it got too expensive. I only have heaters in my tanks now. During winter, the room temp drops considerably overnight into the low teens but the tanks stay above 26C...the spawning tanks are stable at 28 all the time.

My spawn tanks are only 20L tanks and I use 50W heaters in them along the back wall.

Are your heaters thermostatically controlled or hard coded to a set temp?

That's good to know. I bought a 50 watt Hydro Theo submersible heater today. It has a dial at the top with degrees written on it so I should be able to just set a temperature. I wasn't sure if the aquarium heater could keep it stable with cold nights and small tank, so it's encouraging to hear your tanks don't have any problems.