Metallic Green Mask 8-ray+ ~hm~ Female

splendidbetta

:blink: :cheer::) Here she is :D:cheer::fish:

She is the best looking fish I have ever had. She does spread to 180 and a tiny bit wider too. She is very balanced looking, and she has the best deportment I have seen on a female.

She is partially masked, a bit more than the photos show.

Her color is metallic green, but slightly on the turq side. Much greener than the photos show though. Hardly any redwash, as you can see in the photos. Her finnage seems to have grown as well. Her caudal rays end in 6-12, and her dorsal and anal rays split at least once. Her ventrals are better than I was expecting now that I can actually see them, and they are white-tipped, which I like even though it's a fault.

And yes, she is the same fish pictured on Aquabid. Thank you Andree :)

She is going into the spawn tank with her CG Betrothed tonight. There is a storm/rain forecast for tomorrow through to Wed :) There are many hiding places, so I'm putting her straight into the tank, without containers etc like I normally do. Wish me luck.

Posted Image

The color below is a good representation, but she is much greener in real life.

Posted Image

Is she an OHM here? :

Posted Image

like this, but lighter (duh?):

Posted Image

I had to brighten the photos below so you can see her. Color - dont pay attention to it :blink:

Posted Image

'>

'>

I get the vague impression that you like this fish, Stefan? Congratulations, she is absolutely beautiful! Put me down for fry, literally, when they spawn, please! PS white tipped ventrals are only a fault if you were to show her - so never mind that! I like them a lot myself :blink:

:( Thanks guys! I like her alot! Those pics were taken late last week. She is full of eggs already, so she just needed a good feed before she was put in the spawn tank. She has been fed defrosted bloodworms and BS, FD tubifex, Tim Addis dry food, mozzie wrigglers and grindal worms all week. Same for the male. They are both in the spawning tank, but there is not much action. He mostly ignores her and she is afraid of him but without horizontal stripes. She spends more time around the nest area than he does, and I don't think he even knows that he is the one that should be there. I can just see her spawning with him and making the nest, not the other way around :) But he has nipped her anal fin and she does have verticle barring sometimes, so I have hope. If they don't get hot for eachother by tonight I'm going to remove her and float her in a non-see through plastic container untill tomorrow afternoon. Lilli, you are already on the "put me down for fry" list. Or did you want double the fry? :D:( Wish me luck for this spawning, I've never had this difficulty before. Do the new imports behave like non-imported fish during courtship?

Thanks Lisa :) Maybe I spoke too soon - I just checked them again now and he was chasing/following her around the tank and she was skittish around him too. At least they are not "just friends". The water is so rich with tannins from the ketapang and possibly the peat that it looks like black tea diluted 1 part tea to 2 parts water :( I better add some more shell grit as a buffer. Does ketapang and peat extract affect the biological filter bacteria? _________________________________________________________________ I just spotted a fleck of metallic green on her lip!:(

Does ketapang and peat extract affect the biological filter bacteria?

It is my understanding that the bacteria is inactive below a certain pH (6, I think). However, ammonia in water that acidic is actually ammonium and non-toxic, so the filter wouldn't have ammonia to deal with anyway. At least that's my "never studied chemistry" way of understanding it.

Best to buffer it very gradually, so the filter bacteria can keep pace with the ammonum that becomes ammonia.

My pH is about 6.5. I have a full handfull of shell grit under the stick-on double sponge filter that was cycled, in the same bag as the ammoball mesh bag. There is also about 10 pieces of shell in each of the pots mixed with the peat. I doubt that the shell grit would dramatically buffer the pH very quickly as it would need to dissolve into the water to do that. I'm not going to stuff around with chemical buffers.

http://ausaqua.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif :D I haven't been this happy about my bettas in ever so looong! :(:D:)

I just looked in on the tank, and this is the way the nest area is positioned:

On the left side of the tank, in the front corner, I have a plastic lid for the nest, and behind that, 2 ketapang leaves. Well, the male has made a small nest attached to the ketapang leaf right at the back of the tank :( His first Australian-made nest!

Too bad about its location, but at least he has made one. I have some more hope now :D

Archived