How soon can you move fry?

Celeste84

So one of the pregnant females (yellow/orange snakeskin) I bought the day before yesterday decided that the 20L I was holding her and the wild males in would be a great place to give birth in. I was lucky in that I had literally just given them a good feed of FD bloodworm about 10 minutes earlier, so removing the males and leaving just the birthing mother in the tank was pretty easy, and as she's full she has no inclination to eat the fry. Although I'll probably remove her to another tank in the morning just to be on the safe side and make feeding/water quality maintenance easier.

I was planning on putting her, two more yellow/orange females and two sibling yellow/orange snakeskin males in that tank - AFTER she'd birthed in the 3ft community tank.

The question of the day is now how long do I have to wait to put the fry into the community tank so I can go back to my original plan of using this tank as a breeding one? how big is too big for the adult guppies to try and nom on them??

I've never really had this issue before as all my fry have been birthed in the community tank before this and I wasn't paying too much attention to them.

• 1 year later...

I know that this is an old post, but just in case any one else has the same question I thought I'd write my experience. I tend to start transferring fry from about 5-6 weeks of age as I am able to determine sex (as I keep the sexes separate). They are big enough at that age not to be eaten by guppy adults, although I won't let them into my community tank because there are some silver shark that would have them for dinner.

back when we had guppies we found the fry are too prone to stress from sudden changes in tanks.
Thats why people use breeding nets and remove the mother.
the fry can grow in the net protected from predators without the stress of changes.
when ever we tried moving fry over early on such as the week of birth more often than not we'd find them dead that night. (that was just standard lfs gupies though)
im a bigger fan of moving parents out if possible otherwise once they are a few weeks old or just under a cm they can handle it (endlers also seem more resilient) . accidently scooped a tiny bugger out and left him in a cup unheated for 3-4 days no problem.