Back to betta!

daniely

I blame this forum ahha! Everyone is pretty awesome and knowledgeable and i think nows the perfect time for me to give it another go. I havent had a problem with getting fry but my main issue was keeping the newly hatched alive! Sooo was just wondering what is an alternative to green water and microworms? I usually have trouble raising the fry past 2 weeks! Can i buy prepared food from the shops?

Thanks in advance pros!

Hi Daniely

I use ether egg yolk or if I am feeling lazy I have a few tubes of Wardles liquid fry food on hand at all times. after a few days about four days I start on BBs keep the BBs up untill they can eatgrindels worms. I have stoped feeding MW this summer and to no ill effects.

Cheers

Les

Hey Daniely

If my male is a proven egg eater and some are I will remove him just on tails that way he isn't tempted to snack out. I have two fatherless spawns at the moment and the reason for this is this is there first time mateing and I need as many fry as possible for a good selection of HM Some males that are proven fathers I leave in till the free swimming stage. But I see no need to leave in after that stage as it is just tempting fate. Make sure your water isn't to deep that way fry can make it back to the surface easerly.

Cheers

Les

I never use green water. You might get a few more survivors but I don't feel I really need to raise 400 juvies. The first week after hatching is the key to survival for me. I add vinegar eels the day I notice that they are horizontal. That's the same day I setup the brine shrimp hatcher. In the beginning the bs hatcher can just be a takeaway container with no air or light. Heat if however critical for bs eggs to hatch. By the time the brine shrimp are ready the fry should be ready to have a go. But I usually only add a couple of drops. The leftover brineshrimp get fed to guppies or other fish. And I watch to see if the fry are having a go at the bbs. Once I can see them going for it I feed bbs freely as often as I can but usually only before and after work.

Sounds sweet bettarazzi! Unfortunately i changed my mind and the heart went to goldfish ahaha. Couldn't resist some ryukins and lionhead pearlscales! This thread would be good though for beginners in betta breeding like myself!