Optimum number of CRS to start breeding with?

finley

Hi

I am thinking of getting back into CRS as I miss them after dabbling a few years back. What do you think is the optimum number of CRS to start a breeding population with? That is, the 'sweet spot' which minimises the cost of getting started though still forms a decent foundation for a breeding population.

This depends on if you are able to sex them yet (will you be getting adults or juvies) if adults (sexable) then 5-7 get more females then males (3-2/4-3) if juvies (unsexable)then I would get at least 10-12 to ensure different sexes. What size tank are you keeping them in and what sort of filtration?

It will be about 85 litres. I have not decided on filtration yet as that is something I will be choosing and setting up from scratch. Any recommendations?

Whether I get adults or youngsters will depend heavily on what's available and the price of both options. I am open to either.

:)

At 85l I would recommend a decent canister filter with the shrimp guard inlet mesh to avoid sucking up shrimplets...Make sure tank and filtration system are cycled properly as this will kill your shrimp fast if uncycled (very important!) There are plenty of shrimp forums visit them and have a read.

yes if you keeping lower grades but for higher grades? also don't want to risk any no matter what grade, better safe than sorry. right... I have learnt that when a few of my s+ didn't make it, expensive lesson. Also I don't know if it is the water in my area but it just isn't easy without the proper substrate (buffering) minerals etc.

Edited by Chi

I think it's tricky to keep any delicate aquatic life in an area that has Fluoride in the water, along with all of its toxic friends. I'm sure that's why my fish suffer quite obviously if I use Sydney tap water, no mattter how well conditioned, because nothing takes the Fluoride(++) out of it. It's arrogant medical insanity to force-medicate/poison the entire population, plus all of our forna and flora, with these non-nutritive toxins. DANG I got myself started <_</>. ANYWAY...I use a blend of filtered+conditioned water and rain water with minerals added, and that works very well.

Bottom line, I am experienced and not too concerned about the basics of setting up a tank, but am interested in any variables relevant to shrimp that I could have overlooked.

yes if you keeping lower grades but for higher grades? also don't want to risk any no matter what grade, better safe than sorry. right... I have learnt that when a few of my s+ didn't make it, expensive lesson. Also I don't know if it is the water in my area but it just isn't easy without the proper substrate (buffering) minerals etc.

I have bought a few SS grade shrimp to increase the grade of CRS in my tank and they're doing great! no problems and breeding like crazy... I use rainwater