Male & Female betta in one tank?

I've done it successfully multiple times. Usually after lengthy exposure ie; desensitization. I've also done it unsuccessfully multiple times. Absolutely possible with the right fish/personalities... But be prepared to accept they may wake up on the wrong side of the tank, flip a switch and decide they don't like this chick anymore and rip her up. Don't expect perfect fins, either. Works best with two plakats.

Smallest, less than 5lt. This was supposed to be a spawn attempt. They've been living together in there for, oh I have no clue. Months and months. Less than 6, probably more than 4. Heaps of plants but they're usually sitting side by side begging for food anyway. Female gets so excited she bounces out of the water, irritating the boy until I drop the food in.

Largest is 4 x 2 x 18, single pair. Did far more damage to each other (no it wasn't the other fish) than the ones living in the 5lt.

My best success was a single male in a 2ft sorority/community. He picked the alpha female and they would breed multiple times a week. I still have no idea how I pulled that off.

There are a heap of variables to this with fin nipping fish and aggression you need to consider.

Some fish not in large schools can be notorious for nipping so having them in the same tank is a risk but just bettas in a community tank is a risk anyway. Even if they do all get along to start with there is no guarantee that will be the case day to day. Finding the right mix is exremely hard too as you wont know until they are in the tank with trial and error.

Then you have the other aspect that betta's will attack anything they see as a threat to them much the same as a black tail shark will do and probably 50% of the reason they are usually left out of a community tank, the other 50% being fin nipping. I would love to watch them interact (peacefully) in a community tank myself.

The bottom line is that it is a higher risk factor involved than your usual community fish are. As Yan said sometimes it works and sometimes it does not but yes it is possiblle.

My best success was a single male in a 2ft sorority/community. He picked the alpha female and they would breed multiple times a week. I still have no idea how I pulled that off.

Waaaaait a minute, a single male in a sorority? How many females? They never touched him aggressively...? Was it a well planted 2footer?

The bottom line is that it is a higher risk factor involved than your usual community fish are. As Yan said sometimes it works and sometimes it does not but yes it is possiblle.

I already have a sorority in a community tank and everyone gets along surprisingly fine. No one bothers each other. There is very very minor aggression between some of the bettas but it's absolutely minimal and just some minor flaring if anything.

I have a setup like the one you're aiming for.....They're called spawn tanks.

Except my naughty fish don't spawn in them... so they're tanks for "mutual understanding" and fin holding.

I've had my giant PK in with the most horrendously tempered DM HM cow for 5 weeks.... there's chunks out of both, but they're getting along fine (I want a spawn, not a community tank you mongrels. Get busy!)

Nobody here is going to tell you to try it, no seasoned betta keeper is going to touch this thread with any sort of optimism.

They are wired for this, you'll have a great time for a little while - then one day hormones / nature / aggression will take over and you'll end up with one or two floating bodies. Fact.

It's like putting a racehorse out into a huge paddock and thinking it's not going to run.

*shrug*