Buying plants from LFS.

Hi Everyone,

I juz have a couple of questions that have been bugging me for a while, your comments and thoughts are appreciated :D When I buy plants from my LFS is there a possibility of introducing disease to the tank? I dont have a quarentine tank so I put them straight in, is there and should I be dipping them in something to prevent any sort of potential outbreak. The other question, is that I've had an anubia nana growing on wood that has been in the tank for 5 months juz last week I noticed a small pin sized hole in the wood it sort of had a whitish ring around the whole, a few days later the hole was covered over with this white film. As soon as I noticed the second hole appear I whipped out the anubia and binned it not sure if I was been overly cautious or there was something to it. The reason I'm concerned is that after 4 days of introducing a Banana !lilly and a Vallisneria to the tank my gorgeous finned friend has not been the same :huh:

Thanks again

afndrizzy:)

I don't know what the white stuff is. I just wash my new plants off just under tap water and then quarantine them for a week or so. Check for snail eggs too. If you don't have a tank they should be fine if you just put them in a bucket, I've done that in the past (one you use for water changes not with chemicals, obviously).

I've heard of people dipping plants in things like diluted bleach but I've never done it so I can't say it's safe.

Post a pic of the white stuff and the plants. It will help people determine what it is. It's hard to imagine what the white stuff looks like just from the description.

The chance of plants carrying any disease is absolutely minimal, I have never, ever done anything to my plants, they go straight into the tank. Even if I'm moving them from a tank with velvet to a tank that's healthy. You know what happened? Absolutely nothing. :P

The white film over the driftwood occurs naturally, doesn't appear to have any side effects and most catfish will eat it or you could just scrub it off under the tap. I had several new pieces do that to me, it stopped when I increased the circulation near the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for the reply guys,

sorry I can't take any photos coz I already binned the anubia I will remember to do that next time!

Okay Yan, haha it was just a hunch, I probably over reacted, it was worth a try :P The potassium permanganate sounds like a good idea tho!

Thanks again

afndrizzy:)