My Baby Koi

rainbowfish

I had trouble getting clear pictures they are very fast and in an 'indoor 100L pond' in my bedroom LOL I am trying to get as much growth on indoors in warmer waters as possible over winter then in spring outside to a new pond. I started experimenting with home made bio filters and I amazingly came up with a cheap simple idea that is working suprisingly well. It consits of a basic pump a plastic cereal container because it was there and I took it because noone uses it lol and it is packed with polyester toy fill which I had many big bags of from making teddy bears... and lots of sponge. 2 holes one in the bottom for the pump I actually couldnt be bothered with hose so I literally stuck the filter right in top of the pump in the tank, and an outlet pipe at the top it has a little fountain effect that sees me running to the loo a lot LOL that was not intentional, the pump was too powerfull for the container and was blowing the lid off so I added an extra pipe and that fixed it, till a koi gets too close to the pump and the lid blows off well... noone sees it but me and after about a week running it I had very very clear water despite only 100L 4 small koi that poop nonstop. I still have to vac the bottom each day but its been running a few weeks and the water keeps getting cleaner. So I am planning a bigger better version for the pond.

I have had these Koi about 2 months and they have grown a fair bit already there water is around 23c and they get fed small amounts several times a day I hope to grow them really big, I have a lot of digging to do outside!

Enough of my blabbing here are the fish... I'll try for better pics when I feed them again. The biggest one is nearly 4 inches now, in the first pic he isnt as big as he looks he is at the surface and others down below him

babykoi2.jpg

babykoi1.jpg

babykoi3.jpg

Thanks, what is the colour called do you know? I know next to nothing about koi types and colours, just the filtration husbandry side... they were $10 each at the pet shop. I know I like the metalic ones and always wanted a gold metalic.

Oh that sucks...Ive seen video of some monsters fished out of the rivers up there... I would need to dig a dam... I had thoughts of renting a bobcat and digging something that might reach halfway to china and my mother put her foot down :(