5 Week Old Spawn

GeraldtonWA

I have raised my first betta spawn to 5 weeks. They are in a 2.5 ft tank by themselves. There are around 35 and I haven't observed any aggression. I'm feeding microworms and brine shrimp. At what stage do I move them to dry food and is there a recommended brand/type? When do I need to consider separating the fish ? Many thanks.

It all sort of depends on how you want to approach it really.

Some people subscribe to the Growth Inhibiting Hormone (google him) so at this juvi stage, personally I plop the kids into 800ml containers and start Jarring, with water changes every 2-3 days you end up accelerating growth...

A hot tip I have would be getting them to accept flakes/pellets (as well as live foods such as grindal worms and mozzie larvae) also try and get them on blood worms (frozen) it makes feeding in jars much easier.

One way (if they're don't just do it automatically) is to throw a similar sized guppy fry in there, as they will copy the behaviour (thats why it's easier to teach them to take food that dosen't wriggle in the group tank)

The other way is to feed them dry/pellets food in the morning when they're most hungry.

I'll let the others chip in with kinds of pellets, I just use whatevers around, and grind it up with my mortar and pestle so it's bite size, they can choke.

Have a think about your Jarring system, whats going to be easiest to clean, water change, heat and isolate.... have you got an idea yet?

The tricky bit is you can't really put them back in together after they've been separated - I've had pretty good luck re-introducing females into a sorority, but it's been heavily stocked and monitored.

Boys will blossom and start to fill out when you jar, it's very exciting.

I generally Jar at aggression or between 8-12 weeks... depending on growth.

Hope that helps?

I don't know how big your fry are but I have wild fry that are around the 2.5cm or so mark and they easily take the New Life Spectrum .5mm pellets. I switch to dry food as soon as I can as I hate fuddling around with BBS. I use NLS exclusively as it is a good-quality food without tons of cheapie fillers.

I will leave the whole separating thing to someone who has actually bred splendens.

I have one at app 8wks now I have jarred 25 of the most aggressive ones but there are more to take their place...meaning you remove a dominant one and another one will take it's place. I have noticed bits of tails and fins are shredded. They fight constantly especially at feed time. I noticed that once they get a taste of blood worms (frozen) they grow that much quicker and become ever more aggressive. My only trouble is how do you jar 100+ fish during winter?

Edited by Chi

if your looking for cheap containers you can see through I found some 2L plastic containers that are actually pretty clear food grade with lids for about $2.00 reject shop, also seen them in go lo they fit side by side inside a bigger tank its what I used for quarantine/hospital etc. They are sort of rectangle with enough room to fit a measuring cup in to catch a betta or do water changes without trouble.