killifish tank mates

forever_and_a_day

I'm getting a 2 footer over the weekend and was eventually planning on moving my killis in there (right now they're in a tub and it's a pain to water change)

while the focus of this tank is predominately the killies, is it possible to have a small school of cories in there? and maybe some otos?

i'm going to attempt a NPT with this so it will be heavily planted.

the killies are A. Gardneri and have been together all their life. males easily outnumber the females 5:1.

I've had my killies with medaka, daisy's rice fish and pseudomugil mellis. In all cases I've had no issues.

I would assume something as peaceful and unobtrusive as otos or cories wouldn't be a problem either.

Cories and otos would be fine with the killies I think. I wonder if the boys might hassle the girls a bit too much. My inclination would be to set up a separate tank for the girls and only put them with the males when you want to collect some eggs. You would get more eggs that way and the females don't get hassled constantly.

thanks for the input guys :) no intersex hassling that i've observed, just the occasional flare and dash between males. but i haven't been observing that closely. what's the ideal m:f ratio so that no one gets harassed too much? i've got some smaller ones i'm hoping turn out to be female

My thoughts would be to move most of the girls from the group, if the tank is going to be heavily planted the ones left will be fine and have plenty of hiding places if they need them,

As with the corys you could have a couple of groups (they are a fabulous fish) try arcuatus, agassizii, duplicareus, and pulcher, Pulcher would be the best cory ever made.

They are good in groups of 6-10 of a type, I have corys in all my Killie tanks they have a wonderful time eating caviar as all tanks have mops.

• 2 months later...

It could go either way! Once I had a tank with chameleon shrimp with recently hatched gardneri fry. In the same tank they happily lived together the gardneri grew to be 4 times the size of the shrimp still all was well.

Then

One day

Dum dum dummmmm

I came in to the fishroom to watch the gardneri ripping apart and gobbling all the shrimp in the tank!!! :alright:

Dunno how but they eventually figure out that they are tasty!

ahaha i put a cherry shrimp in with them while they were still eggs and (i think because it cleaned up all the excess MW) it grew to be SUPER red and the day before I decided to get around to fishing her out, they ate her ;_;

but i think this was because they grew big enough to eat the cherry, but I doubt they're going to grow much more and from what i saw, riffles are HUGE compared to cherries... and i just read somewhere they are quite shy... ok i don't think this is going to work