Guppy Fry Sexing

Milamber

I realize this is a constantly talked about topic and there are many posts on it already.

I have around 25 guppy fry at 6 weeks old and another 25 of mixed ages from less than a week

up to 2-3 weeks old. My problem is that I wanted to shift the guppy fry into female and male

tanks with other adults. But i cannot tell the difference between the males or females.

How do I determine sex????

I have read countless forums and websites on ways to sex guppy fry and most say the same

thing. Some say ignore gravid spots because it can just be bodily waste, whereas

others say to use the gravid spot. On the fry that are at 6 weeks looking at their under body fins

I cannot tell the difference whatsoever!!! I need help to stop them inbreeding and also to save some new

born fry that are getting harassed by the older fry.

Ill do my best to take some photos that are worth looking at for you guys, but I'm stumped.

This is my first batch at 6 weeks old.

Just did a little bit of research and apparently the gonopodium (the males sharp anal fin) is supposed to develop at one month old. So if you know about sexing larger ones, I think it would just be the same sort of thing, but they're smaller. Don't quote me on that though, I've never bred guppies so have had no experience in this field.

You should be able to sex the fry weeks before males gonopodium develops. I am looking at the photos from a phone now so not much help from me at the moment.

I used to have 100% success rate telling sexes apart from the gravid spot. If you look at your fry long enough you should be able to tell when you are looking at unfertilised eggs or poo soon enough.

See how their poo is yellowish? Probably the colour of their food. The gravid spot is dark gray to black. Look at the underside from behind rather than from the side. Might be easier if you examine them out of water. Just be quick and they should be ok.

Thank you to all of the replies this will make it so much easier :) at the size they are will the adults eat them? Or just chase them and maybe nip them, I have to many fry for my own good right now I think, once i get my 4ft tank set up I am hoping to have tanks for new born and then 4 weeks and older until they are big enough for the community tank. Should I avoid putting them in the active community at this point to avoid injury??

Haha that is true I guess. I do have too many to handle really :) I'm only being protective because it's the first batch I had and their mother die giving birth to the new born fry I'm also trying to house.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for quick responses and sharing of knowledge, it has put me at ease :)

That's weird - I replied last night but it hasn't posted.

It was 1am, and I'm fairly sure I wasn't dreaming (did i post in the wrong thread maybe)

probs.

Anyway - I hopefully will be looking for the same thing and came across this image that I thought helpful:

mff2.jpg

Left is female - right male.

Below the female is in the middle...

2r2auxu.jpg

apparently it's best to sex fry at around the 30-35 day mark

"In about 2 to 3 weeks, female guppiesdevelop a gray spot (gravid spot) a little above their anal fin area. This canbe better seen when you place them on a clear glass. Expert aquarists could beable to identify the spot earlier than that. A guppy does not have to bepregnant to see that dark spot on their body.Waiting for the gonopodium in males is saidto be the most reliable way to identify a guppy’s gender. It is a somewhatmodified fin that appears gray and horizontal."

http://www.fish-fl.com/how-to-tell-the-gender-of-guppy-fry/

No you weren't dreaming. You did post last night. But when I saw it this morning it seemed to me to be a complete cut and paste from another forum without any indication that the content owner had granted permission. So I hid that post but didn't have time to send a PM.

Since this post has now been up for several hours I'm going to leave it up. But could you please seek permission from the owner of those photos.

I'll start a new thread to discuss copyright so there's no need to hijack this thread any further. I know this can be a gray area for many of us including me. Just bear with me while I put my thoughts together.