Killifish Tank Setup.

Dan_97

Hi everyone, I was just wondering what is the best tank setup for killifish (in this case a trio of Gardneri). I have a 66cm x 30cm x 40cm tank and was thinking about dividing it and having two sets of pairs or trios in each. What is the best substrate, or is bare bottom better?? Also I would like to put a few plants in on driftwood but would they then ignore the spawning mops I plan to use??

Just some general info and what you`ve had experiences with would be great.

Thanks Dan

I have my killifish in bare-bottom tanks as it's just easier to clean. I put in some pieces of wood, and then covered these with java moss and subwassertang. I have some anubias and java fern floating around and one or two IALs I remove once they go soggy. I don't breed my killies, but even with all that moss and plant cover they seemed to prefer laying in their spawning mop. I'm sure they were spawning in the moss but I've seen no fry so I assume any eggs got eaten.

I use a sponge filter set on a gentle current and have a good lid to avoid any crispies. However, none of my killies seem very inclined to jump where their tanks are currently positioned.

I think Serkan advised against housing Gardneri species in a divided tank as the females can jump and are next to impossible to distinguish between species.

I'm just a novice and only have killies because they're so pretty, but Les and Serkan (KillieorCory) and a couple other members probably have lots to share as well.

Thanks. I think I will go with the bare bottom idea and maybe a few anubias on driftwood but will just listen to what other members have to say. Thank you so much for telling me about the females jumping that could have been disastrous!!

Hi Dan

I dont put any plants in with My P82s as I want to collect the eggs. When I had Java moss and Fern in there tank they did lay eggs in the Moss so My tank is bare bottom with spawning mops they play in the mops most of the day. I put Riccia in my grow out tanks for Normanii and Panchax as they inhabit the upper levels.As the fry as they grow realy love hide and seek and hunt for Brine shrimp. I put Java moss in the P82 fry grow out tank as they like to inhabit the lower levels. I only put the plants in the grow out tanks as this seems to lessen the stress on the fry and gives them somwhere to hide and feel secure. You should ask Serkan as he has been keeping Kellie for a long time and has way more experiance than I.

Cheers

les

Edited by les

Hi Dan,

Having plants in the tank is fine and I have plants in most of my killie tanks. However as Les pointed out expect some of the eggs to be deposited elsewhere other than spawning mops. Killies will also breed on the tank bottom so having a bare bottom tank is preferred to stop them doing that. There are some species that you keep in tanks with substrate on purpose because of this. Fish like sjoestedti, walkeri, deltaensis can be kept in tanks with gravel bottoms and you harvest the eggs by doing a gravel vac.!!!

Whatever you decide to do with the tank as long as you have spawning mops in and check the mop regularly you'll soon find enough eggs to keep you busy. Having a bare tank with only spawning mops ensures more eggs and fry around the same age and having a set-up with plants etc will yield fewer eggs but more attractive to look at. No matter what you'll have fry to play with anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Les and Serkan. I have gone with bare-bottom with a few spawn mops and a few anubias on driftwood as I said earlier and have also decided not to separate the tank due to the females jumping, they will just get a nice big space to themselves!! Just one thing though, I have made my spawning mops with suction cups on the end so I can stick them anywhere in the tank. Where is the best place to stick them (remembering I have Gardneri P82).

Thanks, Dan