Betta in an uncycled tank

mumofthehoarde

I am grasping at straws here so please feel free to shoot this idea down.

I have 30 adult bettas in beanie boxes which I do water changes every second day.

Would it be really bad if I put 2 adults bettas (separated of course) in a 1' (19L) uncycled tank with a new sponge filter? I know this isnt ideal but is this too much for a betta to bare?

All my fish go in uncycled tanks.

Having said that, I do set the water up such that sponge filters are seeded/seasoned/ready - but on the occasion I don't have one of those, I just plonk it in and use a dollop of cycle.

Any bigger tanks are filtered appropriately, however they're set up and fish are in within the hour.

IAL water / Salt / Cycle / Carbonate hardness powdah / shell grit / decholrinator / heater / filter / plants + stable temp, and the fush go in.

Used this method in an emergency move of a 2 day old spawn with tails that weren't free swimming as yet - and there's PLENTY of the little noodles in there!

Same applies to smaller tubs I have kids growing out in - they get the same treated water but every 2-3 days.

Bottom line, I think you'll be right & particularly that they're adults, shouldn't be a problem.

Seven of my male bettas live in 10L uncycled tanks. I have worked out I need to do a 100% water change once every four days to avoid getting any visible readings of ammonia.

If you test for ammonia daily in the initial days of setting the tank up, you should be able to work out when you will need to do a water change.

If you intend on cycling the tank eventually, you could probably do regular 50% water changes, which will remove all testable traces of ammonia, but also leave enough for your bacteria to feed on.