Guppie genetics

les

I s any one into Guppy genetics? if so I would like to increase the red on my half black red tail guppies I have managed to increase there dorsels but is would like the red in the cordel more precise so i thought of using an albino red over thes guys , dose anyone think that may work?

Cheers

les

PS

If any one knows of a good place for guppy genetics please point me

Check out the guppy designer sight, you need to buy a lot of the info but there is lots of information for freee. I don't know much but I don't think crossing in a RREA will increase the red much, they have so much red because they are albino, not to sure though :)

Les,

The long way to go about it is to inspect your young males in each generation and use the reddest to father the next generation. Also do not forget females. Sometimes it is the female that carries the certain trait/colour.

This is a bit off the left field but, did you know the black is actually (well almost) is a dark dark red? Try breeding in an all black male or an all black female to see what you get. You'll get dark red in the first generation (hopefully) and then you'll need to work on brighten it up.

Serkan

Hey Serkan

I have been consentraiting more on confermation so far and have only just managed to get two large males who are at the right stage shape wise, one has a dorsel that goes past the peduncle now and I almost have the tails equal length to the body, This has taken eight generations so and brutle culling. seeing as I have been inbreeding I was going to out cross to a albino full red and one of the best girls from these guys. so yes the red on these boys needs lightening up thats why I thought a albino full red might do the trick or do you recon just start spliting in to lines now ?

I did get a yellow female recently from an LFS and put her in with my best yellow snake skin and I got one platnum pure yellow tail boy and three girls they are all a very light lemon couler with platnum bodies the rest of the drop where snake skin

the tails of these guys are great but i need to work on the dorsel length

one of my originel half black girls through a half black boy who was put to his sister but died shortly after but he must have done the deed as she droped a masive spawn and it looks like some of the black is on the dorsel now

So yes I do count the girls as beeing very special These guys have a long way to go on the comformation side of things

I will try and look out for an all black male but good quality guppies are hard to come by hear most of Perth is Chiclid country (becouse our water is so hard)

Cheers

Les

How many tanks are you using Les? I want to set up a guppy set up but to maintain a quality line needs at least 5-6 tanks so you can have multiple lines so you don't get deformities and can work on size on one line and colour or form on another and to keep strength.

Just be careful with the outcrossing because you can completely destroy all the work you've done so far. You can sustain a line for quite a while by breeding cousins rather than siblings. When you outcross to a completely unrelated line, try to find fish that are known to carry the trait you're after. And keep some of your original line in reserve so that you can cross them back if things start to go haywire.

The thing I like about guppies is that you don't have spawning problems that you get with bettas. The thing I find difficult is in fact preventing them from spawning. So far I haven't been diligent enough at separating the sexes. So developing my line is extremely hit and miss. Mostly miss.

@ Mighty Matt

I have three 3 foot tanks for grow out and four 1 foot tanks for the trios I put the girls in with individuel male till I know they are pregnant then when they are ready to drop I put the girls in bucket with the botom cut out and mesh over the hole then that is in a tub once droped the girls go back with the male and I lable whos spawn it is and keep a log when I am culling I jot down everything I keep and everything I cull. I seem to be able to understand what to expect next time then.

@ Razzi

so if I split a line and keep one still inbreeding and the other out cross if I start to lose traits already in the line I should then breed back to the originel inbread line, Is that what you mean?

I find the high birth numbers the hardest thing to cope with so many fast fish but at least they grow fast. I am going to put some back in the glasshouse over winter but will make tight fitting lids this time so I dont get frogs in the tubs

Cheers

les

Only because you refered to the double post. Netiquette prevents me from now removing it.

I've only got one line of guppies I'm trying to develop. The goal is a double sword with wild type colouring and the addition of endler type markings. I should make a thread I know. I was kinda waiting until I was a bit further along or at least more organised with the breeding program so people wouldn't have to wait forever for updates. I find it takes 6-8 months for the males finnage to develop properly. But that could just be bad husbandry on my part.

I am sure mine are only four to five months, but that is when I leave the heaters on and water change every therd day and only give live food. I split a spawn and feed one only dried flake water change once a fortnight and no heaters and they where so far behind the others it wasnt funny>

I like the sound of where you are going with your line a double sword with endler markings would look great. Have you taken pics from the start so you can compare where you started and how far you have come?I would be definatly intrested in seeing your thead when you post

Cheers

les

Sorry this is a bit of topic but I remember you telling me you wanted guppies that have meyer been line bred, on AL there is a guy who has a dam and they added these type in the 70's, maybe you could use them in your strain?

Have you got link to the thread Matt? I did a quick search but nothing obvious jumped out. I was interested simply in keeping the wild type guppy, not particularly to breed into my line. But of course if the marking are great then I would definitely do it.

Hi guys,

I would highly recommend the guppydesigner.com website. (sorry, if i am not allowed to do that, mods please remove my post, but please dont ban me!!)

The Guppy Colour strains book by Phillip Shaddock is Pure Gold when it comes to genetics and cross breeding for variations. Worth every cent and mine was delivered within a week.

Alot of the females carry the genes for tail colour, i would cross your strongest/best male to a female with bright red fins, maybe a full red. The Hb should be dominant from the male as body colour and the fins should hopefully come from the mum. someone may have a suitable female for you.

I think if you use an albino as a cross you may make your half black more a dull grey, but not totally certain of that.

I am only just coming to understand the genetics of the wonderful guppy but will let you know if similar crosses i am doing bring the desired outcomes.

All the best.

Cheers,

JamieC

PS. May have some wilds in the near future, if interested pm me.

Hey jamie

thanks for the info. Can I get the Phill Shaddock book through Ammazon? Yes I have been going to guppydesigner site not bad. as far as the wilds go are they wild marked Guppies or wild Gupies? just wondering

Hey serkan

You were so right about the black. The half black girl who was put to a full black boy in the drop there are three red fry the rest are ether full black or half black. I am shoveling grindel worms in to these guys and have a heater on just to keep the temp constant and they are growing so fast I will have to seperate the sexess soon

Cheers

les

Edited by les