New! Teach me everything you know!

chaase

Hi!!!

As the title says...

I acquired 40 guppies yesterday - some still juveniles colouring up!!! So pretty..

I have 4 very pregnant female Guppies - all squaring off & have been isolated into breeder traps - they were being severely harassed by the males..

Today i have added the plants (Thin Val & a driftwood plant) & airstone as well as a "grassy area" for any females I don't get hold of before they pop... There are a few!

I have a light & heater & internal filter... Ummmmmmm not sure what else I need.

Oh the other fish i have in there are: Rosy-barbs, Platties, silver sharks & some bristle-nose catfish :)

Thanks!!

Chaase

Sorry about the large photo's! My PC will not re-size :( Also my camera couldn't take any decent pics without the flash on... Time for an upgrade.

P3030014.jpgFemale 1

P3040023.jpg Female 2

P3040045.jpg Female 1 & 2

P3040046.jpg Female 3 & 4 - excuse the photo bomber!

FORTY guppies!! You're going to have your hands full. LOL. Excess guppies can be difficult to get rid off particularly if they're not pure line bred colour strains. I suggest that you separate the babies from each mother into a different tank. Then from about 3 weeks you can start identifying the females by a dark spot behind the anal fin. Remove the juvenile females so they stay virgins. Then you can mate them with the best looking males.

Yep i sure am! From what I can see I have a few really pretty yellow & blues with the leopard spots???? A few tuxedo males & some which I haven't yet been able to identify. They have similar colouring to the neon tetras. I have some very dull/boring looking males so they will be the first ones to be replaced by the prettier ones.

I have a spare tank which I can put the fry into until they develop & have my mum asking for a tank full! I also have already spoken to a few of our pet stores here in SA who want some "freshies" as their regular breeder is on holidays & unable to get any in! So hopefully I can help them out! But until then its all fun & games & trial & error!

As I said earlier... I have never done this before!

I know pretty much nothing about guppies, but I do remember having some as a kid, and I recall watcing as the mixed bag of beautiful guppies became a dull bunch of guppies very quickly with subsequent generations. Michael's suggestion is probably a very valid one... i.e. if you intend to keep some brilliant colours going in your tanks, it's probably worth trying to selectively breed them. The fact that you are trying to pass on extra guppies to you LFS would mean they want "pretty colours" if they are to take them on. If you end up with a bunch of olive grey coloured fish then you'll be selling them of VERY cheap as live food for other fish. Worth considering.

YAY! I have 17 fry from the yellow spotted female above!

She is still quite large and has a browny/red Gravid spot. It hasn't thinned out much but im not sure (& can't get a decent photo) if she is finished or not ??