Hello from the Up Over

swagman

Hello,

My name is Thomas. I'm not actually Australian; I live in Goodman, Missouri, USA. However, I am an aquarist and I have friends (who do live in Australia) who are members here. So I thought I'd hop across the big pond, and join AusAqua. I look forward to talking to all of you.

Thanks,

Thomas

Thanks Sarah and Ness!

Right now, I have 1 Volitans Lionfish (Pterois volitans), 1 Blue Damselfish (Chrysiptera cyanea), 1 Javan File Snake (Acrochordus javanicus), and 2 neotenic Ozark Blind Salamanders (Eurycea spelaea). I need to get some good pictures of them.

oh what a shame, was going to say what a stunning boy! Then I read the last bit.. snif.. yeah rescue a fish from the ... grocery!??? Definitely sounds like rescue needed! Good onya mate :applaud:

I know! It was a beautiful male. I had that one imported from a breeder in Thailand, and I could kick myself now for not getting the matching female. At the time though, I didn't have a tank set up for the female.

Yeah, the grocery store doesn't take very good care of their Bettas. They keep them in tiny plastic cups, don't really provide any care besides tossing a couple pellets in everyday, and the occasional water change. I'm sad to say, most of those Bettas don't make it very long.

Boo was divine! I'd happily have had him in my tanks...

As for the sad looking betta at the shops - It's a tricky one, and we've addressed it more than a few times on this forum.

While I too want to 'rescue' the betta that I see sold at fish stores in cups - I realize that all I am doing is encouraging the trade and sale.... By purchasing this fish you might be saving that individual's life, but you're demonstrating demand to the retailer.... and kind of fueling the fire...

I realize it's contentious, and obviously - do whatever your conscious tells you!

When I see fish housed like this I have a really hard time biting my lip and walking past fish in 300ml unheated jars (including GIANTS) but all I can do is speak with the manager as politely as un-intrusively as possible, and see if they wouldn't perhaps consider different housing for the sale period.

They wont, and don't usually change their tactic, but when you ask about how many they loose in the retail space, and when it's over 60%, you have to wonder how it's profitable.

Anyway... sorry for fanning the flame on this, but kinda had to say my piece.

Just curious - are there any local Betta groups in your area? Or local breeders? You never know!

-Ness

Just curious - are there any local Betta groups in your area? Or local breeders? You never know!

-Ness

No, there aren't any Betta groups in my area. Like Matt said, I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere. As far as local breeders go, I doubt it. With no local Betta groups, it would be hard to find any breeders here if there were. This is farm country. Finding fish breeders period is hard here, unless you are looking for koi. The reason koi are so common here is because they can withstand out winters, so people often add them to their farm or backyard pond.

I understand what you mean about encouraging the trade. It's a tough decision. Even the local pet shops here (4 shops in a 48 km radius) house their Bettas in cups, plus numerous grocery stores. I think most people around here view Bettas as a cheap pet you have for a little while, and when it dies, just go buy a new one to replace it. The most expensive they get around here is $8 for dragonscales.