Clean Out Shrimp Tank

les

Ok so as you all know shrimp are new for me but they are going so well that my tank is getting to full (its like wathching an ants nest realy busy like) and I dont want it to crash it is heavely planted and has a fair bit of drift wood in it I have cosiderd using a net or just stripping the tank and starting two new tanks. so I am up for sujestions from you more experianced shrimp keepers

Cheers

Les

Their population will self regulate and an equilibrium will establish, babies wont survive as well once the tank is at its maximum capacity, if you want to split the colony just catch some. If you want more babies to survive bettas would love a few shrimp to play with ;)

Feeding them to the Betta was my first goal in getting them but I wanted a good colony going first then endded plantting the tank up that much that I dont think I could get a net in there without doing some serious damage so I supose id beter strip the tank and put some in to a non planted tank just moss and subwasatang that should do

do you think

Cheers

Les

You are a legend Mighty Matt that sounds like the best idea ever I will make it today and let you know how I go

If you carry on with sugestions like that I will soon need to call you master as well as Sarah

Thanks Heaps

Cheers

Les

Hey Mighty Matt

I used your idea for a shrimp trap and modiefied it a bit

1. Cut top and bottom off a 1Ltr cool drink bottle

2. Inverted top and siliconed it in to the middle section

3. Got black stocking and placed over bottom off middle section and secured with laky band

4. Placed some boiled zuchini in trap and placed in bottom of tank

Today I have quite a few shrimp in the trap just from overnight I think they like the darkness with the food inside as I leave my light on in that tank 24 7

so thank you Matt you have excelent ideas now go patent it and sell those traps

Cheers

Les

PS seriously thanks

Yes 24/7 and the shrimp keep the glass cleen I dont think the light is realy strong though but all the plants are thriving its the best I have seen the I think they are all low level light

Crypts,two types of Java Fern, Subwasatang, Ambulia, Java Moss, Duck weed (which I have two clear quite often) Water Sprite, and frog spit. so there is a lot in there its so crowded that I will have to plant up the four foot tank when I get the side panel of glass replaced

Cheers

les