WhooHoo! I got lucky!

Went to LFS yesterday looking for plants and came out with one of those Terrorpotta horrors with an Anubias of some description and some MOSS of some sort. For those of you who don't know, here in the State of Repression moss isn't allowed in. The only way you can get it these days is if you know someone who's already got some!! Don't know how our Lady of the Fish Shop got it (guessing she has a secret stash and we get done for $30 a pot!) Anyhoo that's 'side the point. I got me some. Question is can I just snip a bit off and attach it to some DW in another tank? Might sound a daft question but I know that with some land plants you can only start a new plant by keeping the section you want to root attached to the mother until it establishes itself. Can I do the same wiht the Anubias as well?

Just snip it and it will be fine assuming you are reffering to java moss or something simillar to that ie xmas, willow, taiwan or peacock?

As for plants in Tas i thought everything is banned from there not just moss?

Please dont tell me you pay 30 dollars for java moss? if so I can understand why people would bring it in illegally and I am sure there are private sellers in Tas that have mosses and a lot more

Ray

Edited by pritch33

Good for you! Except for the $30 part :(

Tasmania sounds like it is the home of all the quarantine people in Australia.

I'm sorry but when I saw this topic title I laughed quite a bit. And I was still thinking good for you :lol:

Although I WAS wondering how it was relevant to fishus.

attach the moss to driftwood or rocks - gel type super glue works if the DW is dry and the moss is patted dry in a kitchen towel.....

As for Anubias.... wait till the stem is long enough to cut and still have 3-5 leaves and some roots on each piece ... then tie the pieces onto some DW....

Thanks for the info guys :bighug:

@ Ray - the only plants (or fish) we are able to get in Tassie have to come in through an LFS. Have learned from Caio that I can get IAL into Tassie but I have to fill out a form and get it to the Q guys 24 hours before they arrive here. Even going through an LFS there are still major restrictions that apply as to types of plants/fish available for import. It would also seem that different LFS are under different rules. The shop I got the Anubias from told me she's not allowed to get Ambulia and yet the "Pets" place on the other end of town has it on a regular basis. I have 2 Amazon Swords, bought from the "Pets" place 6 months ago and haven't been able to get more since from either shop :notsure: