Babies!

GoldenGirl13

Well, my faith in my fish-keeping abiities has been restored. I've had babies!!! Well... not me personally, but one of my Guppies. Only found 3 and have rigged a fry saver for them (much to the disgust of my Golden Gourami girl, who keeps hanging around and looking at them very lovingly!). Lord only knows how many Goldilocks has feasted on or how many I've thrown out with the bathwater, but what the hell I figure I must have done something right at some point. GO ME!! :cheer: Now I just need to sort a growing out tank and finish setting up 4fter.....Jo

Thank Sarah, I knew breeding Guppies wasn't rocket science (just as well too!!) but have had so much trouble with tanks due to son who is apparently unable to resist buying fish, fortunately have good filters on both smaller tanks and have become an expert when it comes to water changes and filter maintenance. It was nice to find out that I was doing something more than just keeping my babies in good nick while they wait for their move from the lap pool to the olympic pool! Jo

Thanks Louu xx

Bettarazzi that sounds like a great idea, have another girl who looks fit to burst (Bless her little fins!!)have moved her into breeder, thank the Lord I had the forsight to keep a couple of spare filter sponges hiding in the bottom of the big tank. Did a water change yesterday and basically filtered and re-used that water to fill baby (as in 15" just for mum and then for fry) tank. Just hope I haven't stressed her too much in the move. As for the mum of the fry I found, Eddie the Expert I aint!! Think they may have been about 3 days old when I found them, my Blue girl is looking thinner than she did so reckon to give her maybe another 22/24 days then put her in breeder (assuming of course that she looks suitably explosive). Life with Guppies would be so much easier if they didn't insist on acting as their own sperm banks!! By that time I will hopefully have finished gradually adding my fish to the olympic pool. Jo

Another way is to have floating plants that fry can swim into in order to escape the adults. Or construct something that mimics the effect of plants. In one of my tanks I've used small pieces of styrofoam to float some plastic netting at the water surface where fry tend to instinctively go. I haven't actually had a drop yet. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Idea sounds interesting Bettarazzi, and easier (if I'm honest) than keeping constant watch and doing transfers!! Girl who was looking fit to burst is still looking fit to burst... actually looks like a very pretty ping-pong ball with appendages and a gravid spot half the size of her belly but still no babies. I have however noticed a change in her behaviour over the last couple of days, she is hanging around in the floating weed I put in for the fry most of the time totally ignoring older fry (4 now!!) and generally just looking like she's resting up for the big push...so to speak. Big tank has lots of plants, one of which has taken up most of one back corner of the tank, from top to bottom. As I'm more of an accidental rather than serious breeder I may just leave everyone to their own devices next time and see how we go. Jo