Another Lights Question

Kiinks

Ok so my project is an iMacQuarium and I'm using one of the old G3 monitors and building a perspex tank to fit inside. I want it to hold as much water as possible in it so I'm trying to keep what I put inside to a minimum including the lighting. I just need a light that will keep my plants alive, but I need it in LED strip form, so that I can place it at the back of the tank in a curved shape. I've had a look around and I know you can get fluro LED lights, but in tubes only. I haven't been able to find fluro LED strips, or even single fluro LEDs. Does anyone know where to get them? I mean if you put them into tube format, you still need to use the single LED's in the first place. If not, are there any other types of lights that I could use that come in LED format, or something that is relatively small and would fit in the back? I've always kept a planted aquarium and I'd like to keep them alive =]

I've had a look on this site and it says that the LED strip has Pure White 6000-7000K or Warm White 3000-3500K.

And apparently "Lowest-color-temperature ("warmest") tri-phosphor lamps (generally with rated color temperature at or near 3,000 Kelvin) produce lots of orangish red light around 611 nm, and will grow plants somewhat better than other white and near-white fluorescent lamps. These will grow plants almost as well as lights made for plants, but will look brighter."

So I'm thinking the Warm White LED's will be ok... If I get enough of them?

Does the pure white not go into the red spectrum?

Unless there is someone out there to tell me I'm completely wrong?

That would be rather disappointing =[

Edited by Kiinks

red is certainly part of the daylight spectrum - daylight rated lights put out more light than the warm rated lights - I'd use a daylight over a warm for plants.... let them absorb the light they need and reflect the light they don't need (ie green)

I've never been more than a casual observer of the use of LEDs to grow plants. But I have seen some impressive photos of well planted tanks lit by LEDs. It always seemed to require a lot of DIY skill which puts me off them. I think there may be hydroponic LED units that you can get now but I don't know where from. Sorry I'm not being much help.

Hi.

I am in the process of doing the same but different. :confused:

Just completed a G5 Tower into betta setup using LED lights.. pic's on this site "Fishy Showroom".

Search ebay for flexible led strip lights some have the Kelvin rating on them..

In my setup , lost 1 plant, don't know if filtration or light. But the other one seems ok so far.

I ordered 4 LED strip lights from ebay already. 1 White 1 Moonlight. for my next project/s.. :D

What I have found is that no heat from the light..so no hot spots on the surface water. Hence no temperature issues.

It would be economical to build your own strip you tube can help there.

looking forward to seeing the results.

good luck.

Well thats one of the reasons I want leds, they don't heat up as much. And they are very compact but produce a strong light. I've found some lights on American sites that have ones that seem like they would work, but shipping to here is just too much. I had a look at all white strips on ebay but none of them gave the kelvin rating, which is why I went searching elsewhere. Also with that, some people say to use 3000k, and others 6000k, which ones did you get? Which one releases the right spectrum I know plants need blue and red, and 3000k is close to red I think? I'd also like to get one of the uv/blacklight led strips for the front of the tank, hopefully the ones I order aren't just purple lights though. I just think they'd look lovely under black light =] I'll go have a search for the pics now.

Thanks for the link but that doesn't really help me much. I've worked with LED's before so I know how to put them together, make circuits and so on. Ideally I'd like a pre-made strip with the flat LED's which will fit between the monitor and the tank. But what I need to know is which LED's produce the most appropriate light for growing plants. And every time I think I'm getting somewhere, I read something else on the internet that contradicts everything else! Frustrating!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Understand what you need.Link to Strips and only 20cm long.Guess you get some bright white LEDs 6000k 5mm and set it up how you like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330342429728&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1368wt_907

I bought these ( next link) on ebay and cut the wires inserted a toggle switch from jaycar so i can have either one on.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Waterproof-42-LED-Fish-Tank-Light-Aquarium-Moonlight-Wt-/260695260225?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cb2a5fc41#ht_4810wt_1141.

Good Luck

R

P.S

I tried to build a perspex tank from 3mm but the volume of water and its weight caused too much pressure on the side and the joins did not hold after 2 days

it was only 40cm w x 18cm d x 25cm h about 20l/20kg with no substrate.

I am going to try with 4.5mm over Xmas.

R