5ft cichlid tank

Alasse

My much loved cichlid tank.

Substrate is fine shellgrit/sand mix.

Decor includes wood, rocks & broken terracotta pots

Plants include crypts (majority, growing like weeds) and some java fern. Fake plants also

5ft8thJuly2010resize2.jpg

I thought that in general terms chiclids and plants don't do well together coz the fish have a habit of destroying the plants... Is this species less likely to do this?

PS. looks great! Do you get many young from them?

Thanx guys :)

They are forever diving in and out of the caves and hollows

I dont know paul. Many say the same thing, they will shred any plants, i should remove them. I just go by these have been with plants for ages now and havent done them any harm. But then i am a believer in giving things a go *L* and it worked for me at least. Swords do not do well in there though

The breed like rabbits, though the clown loaches clean quite a few fry up. I did sell off about 20 a while back (before i added the loaches). I am selling a few males and some of the smaller females shortly, the dominant male gives them a real hard time. I dont mind them not multiplying at present. I got angels breeding, guppies breeding and bn breeding lol.

generally African cichlids will eat a lot of plants but java ferns and anubias seem to be distasteful to them (mine have survived) and they seem to leave vallisnaria (sp?) alone too.... they will shred lettuce leaves so anything as tasty as lettuce won't stand a chance!

I've got one lone female maingano but will one day get her some tank mates - when I get to it... some day....

Once again - great tank - one of the best looking African cichlid tanks I reckon....

Scientific name for them is: Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos from the Likoma Island area of Lake Malawi

Common name is Maingano.... very hard to tell apart from male Melanochromis johannii (but johannii females are yellow/orange and Maingano females are same colour as the males)

Thanx guys

Great looking tank.

Do you kept the ph and hardness high as I was interested to know how crypts and swords did in that water.

Cheers.

I do not test for PH or hardness, no need really as i'm not going to muck around changing them with chemicals. The fish are healthy, they're breeding, the plants are doing well, so it must be all good *L*

If you like i can take a sample at some stage for testing, if you really would like to know