Giant HMPK

Bec

Ok,

So I went to upmarket and picked up one of the giants. This guy is a real show off, and after two days in the tank has coloured up nicely. I am a bit concerned about his facial colour though. He has two 'pale' patches of scales on his face / upper body. one is above his gill and looks like a patch of irridescent scales. The other is just under his little arm fin and is a pale pinkish colour. It may just be his coloring but I have put antifungal (melafix) in with him in case it is a fungal infection, just to be on the safe side. He is active and hungry and has a lot of spunk, a real show off,

1.jpg

general photo of Priscilla

2.jpg

The pink patch

3.jpg

the shiney patch

4.jpg

the shiney patch

Bec

Awww, he's adorable.

Grug has some similar patches on him too - it looks like he's sporting and old man's beard! The scales are pale and an iridescent, a sort of pale greenish. They go around his nostrils and under his chin and towards his ventrals, very similar to your second photo.

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, probably just some discolouration, but someone else may be able to shed some light if it is something else.

Very nice male by the way! Grug's brother! :bighug:

Did you see the metallic ones?

Actually, I've just been checking out the tail guide and I am wondering if this is more of a traditional rather than halfmoon with the longer ventrals and length at the end of the anal fin?

:bighug:

LOL ... Priscilla and Grug (didn't notice any metallic ones, but I did see some swimming around in the discus / molly tanks and they lacked the patchs)

Bec

My boy (also named Priscilla*thunbs up*) has some random irridescent scaling on his body and face just random scales that decided green was no good and wanted to be shiny white another one pops up every now and then but its never affected him.

Congrats on your new fish he is such a spunk

Yay for fish names ...

He is so flashy and purply, it looks like he is a show girl as he prances around his tank, flaring at everything with even a ltille reflection ... reminded me of the guys in priscilla - queen of the desert.

I have a big blue stunning HM from Jodie called shitake and his girly, who is a real bossy cow, is called button (so does not suit her personality as there is nothing subtle about her).

I am not so worried about the patches anymore, they just appear to be his colouring ... they are healthy looking and so is he so no need to stress!