Is it ok to deviate from the thread topic?

Hello, the general preference (IMO) would be to post a question (or comment) on a related thread, even if it does vary the from the core subject a little. The alternative is, as you said, to post the question as new topic in the relevant forum section, though you may be referred to the similar thread for relevant information anyway. Either way you should get the answers you seek. :P -Brad.

If the rest of the thread gives it context, you can ask it. If it would be a hijack of the original thread, start a new one (or apologise, LOL). There are many shades of grey. Use your discretion. But thank you for asking! :P

If the rest of the thread gives it context, you can ask it. If it would be a hijack of the original thread, start a new one

Both aspects you've stated applying simultaneously is my problem :P So I guess I'll go with apologising....

I have already done it, twice and my questions didn't get answered, just burried in the continuation of what was being discussed. It does feel like a rude thing to do I have to say. I use another forum where they ask people not to deviate within a thread as its rude to the person who started it... hmmm :P