My Diy betta barracks

betta_splendors

Looking good - I was hoping to link to Adam (Kermadum) 's thread on his DIY barracks - help me out peeps, was it his?

Anyhoo - looking good - how are you addessing filtration heating and evaporation?

Always wanted to have a good barracks system (THAT SOMEONE ELSE BUILDS FOR ME)

PS.

tidy silicone. i am appreciate.

-Ness

was this the thread you were looking for? i saw it a few weeks ago (already had my design already worked out) at that stage i thought i was the only one with that exact system... then i saw exactly how i had imagined it in that thread. except im not going to have 2 levels on 1 shelf at this stage. this was my very 1st attempt at making my own barracks and first time with detailed silicone work :)

i'll be using pvc pipe at the back as seen in Kermadum's thread to reduce evaporation and my sump will be made of storage tubs with lids. so hopefully not much evaporation.. Heating i plan on having elevated in the sump with the powerhead. Not sure where i saw it but i did see a cool idea of having heaters siliconed inot the pipes before it reaches the outlet made in like a u shape.. hard to explain but a good idea if done right.. and thanks for the compliments on the silicone :D made my day :D as i said before 1st attempt at something like that :) if Kermadum is still around would be good to hear how his set up went long term....?

Great start to a great setup mate :D Great to see someone putting in the effort before even going out and grabbing a pair of fish...

I keep saying that a barracks is a project I'll get around to building one day... Perhaps when I re-arrange my house and sort out a dedicated fishroom *lol*

YES that was the thread - thanks, for... doing your own research for me. (?)

Grow outs are (IMO) only good for 8-12 weeks, by which point they need to go in barracks with dramatic water changes thereafter to avoid Growth inhibiting hormone (that I personally attribute slow growth to) ...I have to qualify this by saying it's my theory.

worked thusfar.

Grow outs 2 ft are perfectly fine - depending on numbers & filtration, but under 40 fry, water changes 3-7 days, more than that - water changes 2-3 days (this is how I would roll)

But I've had a wine, and I'm hypothesizing on ideal circumstance for me, to what extent I would get around to these WC's WHO IS TO SAY?

hmmmmm

good silicone, you have got. good luck, shall you have

yo.

article-1318093-0B803914000005DC-954_306

@ Ness:lol:

Hey BH

Razzi used storage tanks on his system so if you have a look at that thread you can get a prity good idea of how he did it, what size he used and how he conected them I know he irond out quite a few problems that migh help you save time and mony so take a gander. By the way its great to see these projects and diffrent peoples enginuety keep it up and good luck

Cheers

Les

PS if you are going to use a barrack system it might be to your advabtage to invest in a UV filter it could save a life.

thanks ness, thought 2 foot would do fine but had to get at least a 2nd opinion if not 3,4 or 5 lol. but yer i had very good luck with the silicone but havent tested it yet.. it may just LOOK good :)

Thanks les, i forgot to mention the uv sterilizer... but on my other forum a good point was raised and you might be able to give some insight if you run one. The theory being that a fish going from a uv treated system to no uv treatment could cause a high death rate when the person buying the fish releases them into the non uv treated aquarium?? if you understood that lol what do you think?

YES that was the thread - thanks, for... doing your own research for me. (?)

I did alot of resarch and planning before even buying materials.. That's why i only just started it 2 days ago (when i received the beanie cases) I'm bit of a perfectionist ;)

lol had a few troubles with silicone <_< but waiting on flow control valves anyway lol. but its all goin pretty well. i've also accumulated a few 30 litre tanks for breeding and a 3 foot tank for grow out (bit bigger than what i wanted but was a good price). I've got my convicts in the 3 foot till i get it all up and running (breeding them as feeders for my red terror) getting there though :)

• 2 weeks later...