Submersible Fluro Lights ...

BettaBetta

Can submersible fluro lights be trusted? I'm terrified they may explode in the tank, but are a cheap alternative to the ticky tacky changing light colour LED's.

I've set up a 25l CORNER tank in my kitchen and the top lip of the tank means I can't use the small clamp on types, I do not want to use the bulky sit/rest on top ones and I don't want one of those grease collecting bulky fluros attached to the underside of my kitchen cupboard overheads either - sooo Nanna'ish'!

None of my lfs's have them .... I've found this one on eBay but who can trust a seller who says, "Simulating nature light promotes aquarium growth and bread" lmao!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Submersible-Aquariu...=item2a0492335e

Just hate the thought of fish being speared by shards of fluro tube!

Looks like a fluoro tube inside a plastic tube - any leakages could cause a problem....

Perhaps some white LED lights would work better - they run off low voltages (12 or 24 volts) and only a hammer really harms them... They don't explode like a flouro... if one goes out the others still will work....

This seller has a variety to choose from - different lengths and colours and supplies an adaptor to plug into Aust sockets - there's probably a heap of others available but that's the first I found....

Fluro tube arrived - it's great. It's actually a fluro light enclosed in side a glass outer tube, just like a heater really.

It's 30cm long, cost AU$10/12 from memory including postage & works a treat. Only 2 minor problems, doesn't have an off/off switch so need to unplug & needs one of those little travel adapters for Aussie plug. Apart from that I'm tickled pink with its performance.