How do you fertilise driftwood?

I have Anubias 'Nanna' growing on drift wood, and the old leaves are yellowing which I think would mean an iron deficiency. Problem is I don't know how to get the iron to the plant, because as far as I understand it is usually absorbed through the substrate. Can someone advise how to best to treat this?

TIA, Julia.

:lol: None, I was hoping to set up my planted tank properly and work all this out in that, but life has got in the way! Currently everything not tied to something else is growing in gravel with an UGF, and low light. Surprisingly I haven't lost any plants, but except for the anubias which looks like it needs to be divided so we can see the wood a bit, nothing is really flourishing.

What else do you recomend I use?

Sorry, I'm not easily understood at times :lol:

What other fertilisers or additives would you recomend I add to keep the plants in my unfertilised gravel based tank healthy till I can get them in a propper set-up?

thats tricky.

your best off planning your fertilising regime and starting as soon as possible.

i guess your options are.

liquid ferts from aqua green/aquariums - expensive in the long run

dosing all liquid ferts by seachem (npk and trace) - even more expensive in the long run.

or

mix your own dry ferts, I think its called ppmd, I used an american recipe called pps-pro(see my thread in the plants section), but there are a few different kinds.

This basically entails you buying some small quantities of certain chemicals (KS204, KNo3, mgso4 and KH2po4 plus your chelated trace mix.

i know that was basic, just ask any more questions. I will be here for about 30 more minutes :lol:

EDIT - perhaps your best option, is to buy 1 bottle of liquid ferts or seahcem flourish to get you by for a couple of weeks. that will give you time to plan your regime and sum up your options better.

Edited by Peter16

Thanks Peter! I remember your thread, it made sense. I guess as I will need to fertilise even in a planted tank the home made will be the way to go. I'm a bit out of it now, and can't think what to ask next, but will be sure to pick your brains tomorrow. Thanks for your help, have a good night. :lol:

anubias is planted above the substrate, coz if it's buried the rhizome will rot.

as someone's already mentioned you fetilize via the water column, so just add fertilizer into the water. since it's a slow grower, unless you grow it emersed, it doesn't really need much fertilization anyway - it should get enough from fish-crap.

btw, think it's natural for the old leaves to yellow.