Heating Outdoor Ponds?

zaphod 373

After seeing the outdoor ponds made of baby pools on this site I would like to set 1 or 2 up when I move into my new place but in Adelaide they would definitely need heating.

Do you think I could use a large wattage aquarium heater and just tape the plugs to water proof them.

They would be next to my alfresco area so I could plug the heater into an extension cord and the extension would plug into a outdoor power point under the alfresco.

Any other suggestions out there?

I think you'd lose way too much heat from the surface to make that feasible (sorry). I couldn't even keep a barracks in my garage in Sydney at the right temp in winter with 3 large heaters in the sump.

They won't really kill you. They'll just be annoyed for a little while then they'll get over it and just park in the street. Forever and a day you'll have them whinging and whining that they can't use the garage because your fish are in there. But that's ok. You can live with that. Nothing in life comes for free after all. I say go ahead and build the fish room. :)

Yes well I live with my ex husband[ we care jointly for my daughter who was hit by a car] but I am paying for the new house so hey I guess I could and my 2 other kids at home shouldn't really get a vote till they pay board right.

Its still being built but the garage does have a door into the kitchen[water on tap] and a glass sliding door for siphoning etc mmm getting tempting although Im not sure I have the time for that sort of commitment.