New female

Ghengis

Thanks to Najrick, I now have a tank full of juvenile male and female blue HMs. I'm separating each of them gradually, as they start to show signs of over aggression or just getting larger than the others. Have had a gorgeous black masked female jarred for a week, but last night moved her into the community tank. As you might imagine, the resident Platinum girl is not particularly happy about sharing with another Betta, chasing her everywhere. I wonder if it'd be a good idea to introduce one of the other girls to help break the attention a little. I really want for the Blue to survive and thrive in the community tank, as she will be great to breed from someday, stunning aquamarine colouring. I realise this "bullying" behavior will stop sometime, once the heirachy is set. I'm just hoping the Blue doesn't die in the process...

Thoughts?

you could try ading a few more so as to lower the level of bullying that you hm girl is recieving...

if there is only the two females in there i would suggest adding 3 more females. 1 female alone wont change much i dont think....

ohh and you have to put up some pics for us all to gawk at....

hehe

Raced home at lunchtime and moved two more girls into the community. Now the Platinum girl chases everyone...EVEN THE NEON TET's!! She's not happy, I

gotta tell ya. Still, it's all good. Atleast I don't have one fish fearing for it's life and jamming itself into a corner to avoid detection. It's interesting how there

seems to be a truce, come feed time. It's as if their all old friends, swimming amogst each other, all happy and peaceful. Well feed time was about twenty mins

ago, now, and the truce has gone out the window! I don't mind, I reckon all will be well soon and I can already see the pecking order developing.

PS Pics coming soon :Drunk_Buddies2:

Ghengis,

The ladies are establishing dominance & a pecking order.

Keep the Melafix on hand for repairs to tails & fins :Drunk_Buddies2:

When you decide to introduce unrelated females into a community situation you need to float the "intruders" for quite a few hours to reduce some of what you're seeing now. Floating them allows the girls to pull faces & posture and "have a go" at each other without actually being able to inflict any damage - they have teeth too, they'll body slam and ram each other it's fairly common to get fin damage similar to what you get in a spawning tank. Death is also not uncommon particularly if you have a very dominant pair of females.

Another thing that helps reduce some of the tension particularly with the existing territory owner is to take her/them out and do a bit of re-arranging in the tank so that it looks a bit different then float the "ladies" before releasing them all. A mild refurbishment changes the boundaries so they all have an equal chance at a fair go females can be as territorial as males.

In the past I've found that 2 is generally trouble, 3 a little dicey but 5,7 and 9 together work well in a tank.

cheers

Archived