Best way to move fish

p_trix20

Hi everyone. I was looking for some advise on the best way to transport my guppies in an upcoming house move that will be about a 4 1/2 hour drive.

I have a combined tank with adults and youngsters of many sizes and I was thinking that I should probably separate the adults so they don't decide to have a meal. But should I leave them in the tank with less water or is there another way. I would like to avoid casualties and a wet car so any advice would be lovely.

Thanks.

I've moved 20-30 young (half adult size) guppies 7 hours in a 5L jar with a lid (took the lid off at rest stops to let fresh air in)...depends how many you have to move. You could get a 10L bucket with a lid. I would separate the tiny fry. I kept enough water in the tank to keep the gravel wet, then put the sponge out of the filter in there too and I used 10L water containers to take 70% of the water. Depends what you can fit in the car I guess.

I prefer moving fish in bags rather than containers. But bagging and unbagging is a bit of a pain. I don't think moving them in the tank is a good idea. As the water sloshes around there's a danger that they can get hurt against the gravel or other things in the tank. The last time I moved fish and did it in buckets and coke bottles for the male bettas. I found the sloshing of the water in the buckets extremely distracting while I was driving and the fish seemed really stressed when we got to our destination. Hell! I was pretty stressed at the end of the 45 minute drive. This is why I now use bags even if it's a short trip.

Archived