Betta in a community tank

pandafarma

I am currently helping my cousin to set up a fish tank after convincing him he wanted a betta...but was wondering what other fish might make some good tank mates for a male?

The tank would be about 20 L.

I have seen bettas in with khuli loaches in the pet store as well as with guppies (I thought this was a bit strange) and after reading some forum discussions I have found that cories make good tank mates. Any one have any thoughts on this or any ideas about community betta tanks?

~~Pandafarma~~><))>

I've got a male VT in with guppy's, Tetras (neon's, black neon's, glowlights and harlequin Rasboras) and he never attacks them. There is also a bristlenose catfish in there. Personally I think you can't go wrong with a few nice tetras. The smaller more placid ones like neon's/cardinals and the others i listed above do well in a community setting with a betta. Of course you have to keep them in numbers of at least 6+ so u are really only limited by the size of the tank. In a 20L I think you could get away with 6 tetras and a male betta easily.

Good Luck and make sure you post photo's when it's finished~

My old VT was in a 2 foot with gouramis , pleco , bumblebees and did well . At first though he split a few fins flaring at the gouramis but once he settled down he was fine and loved power gliding to show off to the other inmates.

They make a nice feature fish in a comm.tank.

I have had boys in with quite a few of the fish mentioned: guppies, tetras, bristlenose, gouramis, kuli loaches, and they did well. Be really carefull that the fish you put with him are not nippers as that is the main issue for the bettas. A peacefull community tank also depends on the male betta, most of mine will happily live with bristlenose but there are a few that will attack any moving thing in the tank.

You have to be careful with your water too as bettas are more likely to get fin rot & other complications if the conditions are not right than alot of other community fish.