Food for Guppy Fry

Herbydad

Haven't tried my hand at breeding tropical fish before but it would seem that I have purchased some female fish that were already prego.

First was a baby catfish which currently seems quite happy in the main tank.

Secondly I isolated 2 prego female guppies in a tank with a male and tonight I discovered 8 small guppies.

I have put them in a small plastic container and suspended it into my main tank. That way the water temperature is controlled.

My questions are

What do I feed the guppy fry? I have boilded an egg and used the yolk with water. I think they are eating that. It is very fine and small enough for them to eat I think.

This is what I used to do when I was Kid and was breeding goldfish.

Do I need to feed the baby catfish a special food? It seems quite healthy at the moment. It's about 2 weeks old now.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I also have some still water from the previous rains. It attracts mozzie lavea. I have been feeding this to my fish (neons, goramis, bubble mollies, and guppies) and they seem to love 'em. I was told the other days by a friend that mozzie lavea was bad for tropical fish. Is this correct?

Fighters4U can send you fry powder .My guppy fry love it and a little goes a long way.

You can also see F4U about a microworm or VE culture . Mine are growing well on fry powder , microworms and golden pearls ( BBS substitute ) they also do well on crushed flake food. When they get to about 2 weeks they get shaved bloodworm and spirulina flakes.

I like to give mine a variety of food so that their nitritional needs are covered.

I dont think mozzie larva is bad for them but see what other forumers say about that.

Fighters4U can send you fry powder .My guppy fry love it and a little goes a long way.

You can also see F4U about a microworm or VE culture . Mine are growing well on fry powder , microworms and golden pearls ( BBS substitute ) they also do well on crushed flake food. When they get to about 2 weeks they get shaved bloodworm and spirulina flakes.

I like to give mine a variety of food so that their nitritional needs are covered.

I dont think mozzie larva is bad for them but see what other forumers say about that.

Thanks for that. Sent off an E Mail this evening for some fry powder, and a MW culture kit.

We'll see how that goes.

Crikey those guppies are not bad. Last night I had 8 little ones, now I have about 30.

These thing are better than rabbits.

My idea of an egg yoke crushed in water seems to work also. Well they are eating it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It is appreciated.

Archived