new critters

jusdeb

I dont know squat about breeding so I asked the seller if they would be a breeding pair and he said yes so Im just going on his word.

So thats what I ask for is it ? Virgin siblings. I just learnt something new. Thanx

Yeah, what Stefan said. And your aim should be to collect some virgin females from your fry as well so that you can choose who you breed them to. The way you do it is to remove any fry that look female at about 8 weeks. But check for signs from about 4 weeks. Some of those girls develop early. Female guppies can be identified a lot sooner than males so most guppy breeders aim to identify females and remove them asap. If you leave your guppy fry together until the males are showing a gonopodium some of them could have already impregnated their sisters and you won't get to choose which fish breed. This is only relevant if you're interested in line breeding your guppies and developing your own lines. If you just want some pretty fish you can just leave them all together and they'll reward you with lots of babies about every 4 weeks.

Forgot to say how to actually identify a female guppy fry. The females develop a dark spot near their anal vent. Just between the anal and ventral fins. Here's a pic of some my guppy girls. These ones are a lot older. You can identify them when they're a lot smaller than these girls. The gravid spot was a lot more obvious in real life than in this photo.

Fantastic info. I want to keep this line going so I always have pure red grass as in the photo...I have a nice metal pink boy in my community tank that Id like to play around with later just to see what I can come up with.

If I do sibling matings from the first spawn do I do the same down the line or do I need to go back to the original boy at any stage?

Thanks for the pics I was a bit concerned about telling the sex of them.

• 2 weeks later...

The gonopodium is the modified anal fin which male livebearers use to deliver sperm to the female. The females seem to develop their dark gravid spot earlier than the males develop their gonopodiums. Usually by the time the hobbyist has noticed that a male's anal fin has changed, the gonopodium is already fully functioning and he could have already impregnated his sisters. This isn't a problem if you're happy letting them breed randomly. But the serious guppy breeder tries to control which fish gets to mate with which and will wait for colour and finnage to develop before allowing the fish to breed.

Archived