Getting light through 60cm of water

Bren MacFish

Anyone got any experience getting light through to the bottom of 60cm of water?

I've got a standard 60cm double light wide spectrum (6700K) 40Ws and having to help it out with a compact fluoro high output 23W=125W (2700K) but it's still not bright enough for viewing pleasure even tho I think the plants are happy enough with the spectrum and intensity.

Does anyone have any experience about how much light it takes to get through deep water? Remember it's only a square tank so there's only so much room for lighting above it.

Yeah, small submersible LED ones about the size of a large marble. I think there are a few brands where you can have several separate lights coming off the one wire. Different filters for them too, although I think white is pretty. Green might be good in a planted tank too :)

Well technically speaking, what we see as white is actually green light. Plants don't need green light they need a broad spectrum of light for different purposes but mostly red and blue light, which is why viewability can be not optimum in a tank but the plants can be happy.

A green light should make the green plants pop. I've got black gravel, black background and big black mangrove tree trunks so if the green were popping, it'd show off everything else.

Did you know that if you look at your fluoros from the side they're a different colour to looking at them head on? I thought I had all white lights and now I've found a pink, a teal and a yellow!

Archived