Sexing Tiger Barbs

Anasfire

I've got 12 (at least I think there are 12!) small tiger barbs in my 2ft community tank and have been trying to sex them. From what I've read the males will present with a bright red nose, ventral's and bright red line on their dorsal where as the females will look a lot paler.. My problem is 2 fold. Firstly the little blighters won't stay still long enough for me to have a decent look at them coz they all know me as 'That Lady who bringeth food' so get all excited when I come near and secondly from the short periods of time I've managed to have a decent look at them it seems I only have 1 female out of the whole shoal! This can't be right! I mean statistically the odds of the LFS dude catching 11 males and 1 female is astronomical so it must be that I'm either counting different females as 1 or I've just been REALLY unlucky and only gotten 1!

My question is: Does anyone know a sure fire method to sex these little guys?

I don't think they are quite at breeding size yet they are still pretty small..like the size of a serpae or black skirt tetra.. and I've seen them as large as a dwarf gourami so I know they have a lot of growing to do.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

I'm assuming their small size also indicates youth. Don't know exactly how old they are. I've read they aren't sexually mature until around 7 weeks old anyway and can be placed among adults at 5 weeks so I guess mine are anywhere from 5 weeks onwards. I'll let them grow a little and see I guess.

Ta Brett

Archived