Buzz the oscar

Beano

After months of neglect, poor Buzz and his "friends" got a 95% water change. He's currently not eating! Massive sook. Here's some photos. I wanted the water to be clearer before I took photos but alas, it's not quite there yet.

I've removed everything from his tank except his big driftwood, on account of all the hard objects being wedged up against the glass. I figured one day he's actually going to break it so I better take out all the rocks...

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

Note the wasted Krill under the filter - I'm still waiting for him to eat it - talk about sulking, what oscar wouldn't want krill!! Since he got a tank cleanout he's been super territorial - when he's puffing out his gills I try not to feed him because he usually won't eat it when he's too busy trying to look large...

Would be nice for mine to have something to hide in but the amount of times I hear stuff banging against the tank walls, it really freaks me out! Plus he's only got a 4ft and there's just no room for him to have a cave without losing swimming space. He tolerated a tonne of java fern in there for a long time but eventually his oscar plant trashing instinct kicked in and he shredded all but that single one I wedged in the driftwood!

Just wondering if he is perhaps feeling a bit Exposed with all the gear out of his tank..

They are sulkers..lol

Have you thought perhaps about putting something in there for him to hide in that wont break the glass?

He will soon let you know if he doesnt like it!

Beautiful looking fish by the way! Most impressive..

He was neglected in terms of not getting water changes (bad beano!!!). He's got a BIG internal power filter, but they don't fix the nitrates, and nitrates get to the oscars, when they get high they tend to get Hole in the head disease. The poor thing has been waiting and waiting for me. He's great. I want to keep him and now I've seen him perk right up I won't be neglecting him again.

I've had him for 2.5 years and he's about 27cm long. I used to do 100% water changes once per week for him (seems extreme but it's really hard to keep the nitrates below 20ppm in a 4 foot tank!!! Oscars are pretty good with huge water changes too). I don't even want to think how high his nitrates were. People say that a 4 foot is overstocked with an oscar and the 2 SD's, but frankly I think the SD's help the situation, because while they add bioload, they clean up a lot of food he wastes out his gills (bad oscar habit).

I think it's supposed to be at least 6mm thick for a 4 foot tank - I'd get a good quality one though. I'm pretty sure mine is 5mm and I don't like it, I got it for $50 off ebay. It frightens me... one day I'll get him a nicer tank.

I'd get a 4 inch one at least a 4 foot tank - I had Buzz in a 2ft tank for about 2 weeks (he was 1.5 inches at the time). He loved the huge tank. If you get a big one while they're babies, it will be less upkeep but also you run into less problems with stunting. The people on oscar forums recommend at least 4 foot for a single oscar. You may as well get it sooner. I think Buzz is a bit small for his age because he got sick with an internal parasite when he was having a growth spurt - it took ages for him to grow after that. Also, bottom footprint of the tank size is more important than height - oscars tend to swim length ways more than up - so get long tanks rather than high ones.

Archived