Tank Repairing

rose

So, yesterday i managed to score three old tanks from the parents garage. Unfortunately, the tank designated to be the amazingly planted communal tank has a crack on the floor and the immaculatly siliconed repair job still leaks (I found this out after a trip to my LFS, purchasing plants, soiling, graveling and filling my tank) :) Not too smart as my Jess has pointed out.

My question is: does anyone think it worthwhile to attempt to resilicon? and what type of silicon should i use? Or should i attempt to replace the pane of glass? Or should it be destined to become the new mouse tank (the 3yo's current passion)

Generally best to test repair jobs just with water to start off with. :) But I suppose you've been told that several times now. :) Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

The best way to repair it would be to replace the entire piece of glass. A less expensive option is to get a strip of glass cut that will completely cover the crack and silicone this on the inside of the tank. It really depends what the crack is like. Got a pic? How big is the tank?

You need to use silicone which is specifically marked as suitable for aquariums. The one made my Selleys says, "Glass Silicone Sealant for Windows and Aquariums".

Actually, looking at that photo, I feel a little stupid..

Aw well, another day another lesson learnt. I think i may just be replacing the pane. Or maybe just putting a new one straight over the top....

Archived