3ft tank to stock

Celeste84

ok i've emptied out 3ft tank, and am in the middle of bleaching it, so once that's done i'm gonna plant it properly (proper substrate, and natural loking plants for a black water ecosystem).

now comes the hard part. i can't decide what to put in it!

i thought dwarf flame gouramis or dwarf glowlight gouramis might be nice, but then again, so would a tank full of guppies! i also want more than one species of fish in there, make it a real community tank. so i want something that's smaller and schools possibly, plus something to keep the tank clean, in addition to either the gouramis or guppies.

also, how hard are gouramis to keep?? and would they be happy in a black water environment?

They seem to be pretty good in a community tank... i had 3 non dwarf and one dwarf in with tetras and guppies and they seem to get along... if you have plants the smaller fish can hide.

Just dont get a Barramundi like i did.. i had one the size of a guppy and when i woke up one morning 2 guppies were missing and my barramundi was as wide as it was long LOL

ROFL!! naw i'm not really into fish like barramundi :) i really did want to set this up as a reef aquarium, but it costs too much, so a tropical blackwater one is the next best thing :)

what i really want to know i guess are what fish would go well in an environment like that?? i did think gouramis and guppies as i love colourful fish, but i want more than just the four fish LOL so i was thinking a school of black widow tetras as a possibility, some half beaks, and some kind of catfish (for cleaning purposes) too. maybe a spiny eel if i can XD i'd love it if the fish would breed, since i love watching the babies grow, but i know it's not likely in a community tank.

it's gonna take me about a month to plant the tank and get it up and running properly, so i have plenty of time to think about what's gonna live in this tank :)

Sounds good Celeste have you seen those Kuhli loaches?. The snake/eel ones? i found them good at cleaning and i thought they look so cool snaking around the tank. They mostly come out at night. http://www.bayfish.com.au/category19_1.htm

Now this brings me to lesson two lol... the barramundi being number one lol. If you breed guppies and have gourmis in the tank make sure your not silly like me and leave the females in there pregnant and then come in one morning to look at the fish and find a line up of gourmis behind the female guppy giving birth and each time a guppy pops out a gourmi eats it... :) it was like a drive through i swear! lol

ROFL! that is EXACTLY what m betta girls did to the pregnant guppies when they gave birth XD

naw i like the spiny eel better i'm afraid, they just look so cool, and im gonna have driftwood in the tank for it to hide under :)

i think i might forget about guppies, they'd just look out of place in the tank i'm thinking of.

so 2 or 4 gouramis, a school of black widow tetras (or black phantom tetras), and a few glass shrimps is what i'm thinking of ATM. would the glass shrimps be good at keeping a tank clean?? any other fish i could safely pop in there?? it holds around 90L.

i've realised i can't have the spiny eels as they'll eat the tetras :<

i've settled on a pair of flame dwarf gouramis, a pair of glowlight dwarf gouramis, a school (~10) of black widow tetras, and a bunch of glass shrimps (10-15).

mum thinks it's gonna be a bit empty since the gouramis are small, anyone got any ideas about what else i could add in? thinking about another school of something small, and not very brightly coloured either as the gouramis are the focus of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i gave in and am ALSO getting a breeding pair of bronze cories for this tank (picking them up next week). they should be almost invisible in a black water tank LOL

my only question is, how do i keep them? like what do i need to feed them and stuff??

Archived