What colour is she?

Beano

This is the female I bred Stewie to in my 1st spawn attempt. She's the mother of the 9 week old babies. What I want to know is, does anyone have a clue what colour she is supposed to be? She's had those horizontal stripes since I picked her out at the pet store. At first I thought she was at the bottom of the pecking order in the female tank, but she consistently displays her "stress bar". She swims happily and eats well and shows no sign of illness.

As you can see from the photos, she has a green irridescence. When she was in the spawn tank with stewie, she changed colour to navy blue, with blue and pinky/red finnage.

My other question is, is this female a splendens? Or another species? She just looks a bit different...

p4140051ej0.jpg

she looks like a young female splendens to me, but she could be an imbellis cross from the shape of her body/head.

she's a "wild type" :P it's basically a dary body with red in the fins and either green or blue irid. i find they're good breeders and very hardy fish. she looks very healthy!

she could just be displaying the stress lines if she's bottom of the pecking order (new to the community), if that's the case she'll settle down in a few weeks once she gets to know everyone in the tank :D

Well that's the thing - When I first bought her home she bred and changed to her dark blue colour. Afterwards, she was in a jar by herself away from other fish. The bars stayed. Now she's in a 4 bay tank, still horizontal bars. The only time her bars go away is when she's in breed mode. I'm waiting until I get more females, and then when the 4 week old fry are out of my bowfront tank, I'm going to put them all in there. I just think 3 isn't enough for them not to fight, so hopefully Howlsn is still giving away her females to me soon.

Thanks for the colour information!

Archived