Tank Mate Recommendations

ren

hey guys can you give me some recommendations for some new tank mates :) at the moment ive just got four red wag platy's :) i've had them since monday so im nearly allowed to add more fish, what should i get?? its a 3ft so theres plenty of space just need to decide on what fish to get i like the idea of getting a bunch of female bettas but what other tropicals can i look at? thanks in advance :) ren

Are your platys males or females or both, Ren? Unless they're all males, you're likely to have more platys REAL soon :) Females can carry fertilised ova for up to 6 months, and give birth to successive batches of fry even with no males in the tank. You could add any of the common and less nippy tropicals, really. A bunch of harlequin rasboras always goes well, I reckon. Silver-tip tetras are nice, and quite hardy, as are glow-light tetras. If you're planning on having a group of female bettas in there eventually, go for tankmates that are fairly robust but not aggressive themselves. A decent-sized group of the hardier tetras make good dither fish. Zebra danios would be okay eventually, but I find them a bit zippy in a sparsely-stocked tank -- they can make the other fish feel a bit insecure.

Are your platys males or females or both, Ren?  Unless they're all males, you're likely to have more platys REAL soon  :) Females can carry fertilised ova for up to 6 months, and give birth to successive batches of fry even with no males in the tank.

You could add any of the common and less nippy tropicals, really.  A bunch of harlequin rasboras always goes well, I reckon.  Silver-tip tetras are nice, and quite hardy, as are glow-light tetras.

If you're planning on having a group of female bettas in there eventually, go for tankmates that are fairly robust but not aggressive themselves.  A decent-sized group of the hardier tetras make good dither fish.  Zebra danios would be okay eventually, but I find them a bit zippy in a sparsely-stocked tank -- they can make the other fish feel a bit insecure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey vicki,

ive got two males and two females

but i think the females are young? i read in my book that the females are supposed to be bigger than the males?? well at the moment the females are about half the size of the guys so im guessing they're younger

some fry would be cool :)

ill look up all the fish you mentioned, i dont know any of them yet !

thanks for some ideas!

:)

Archived