DID YOU KNOW tropical & coldwater hot tips - got any?

IMA STARTING THE DID YOU KNOW THREAD, DID YOU KNOW?

I learnt some stuff keeping these fish and working in industry... I was sworn SWORN to secrecy... but I can't be bothered with that.

Here is my knowledges:

coconut-butter-meme-generator-my-secret-

Begin

* pH up is bi-carb soda tru

* Ageing your water (letting it sit) is nice, but still needs de-chlorinating (has chlorimine and other baddies)

* Some show betta are trimmed (illegal) Judges disqualify if it is evident - you will also suffer from bad fish karma the rest of your life

* If you can still smell the vinegar of silicone after re-sealing or building a tank, it's too soon for water

* Black substrate is only appropriate for Cichlids or Goldfish (pH yo) unless it's Aquasoil which is a whole other thing

* YO CANT PUT SHELLS IN YOUR TROPICAL FISH TANK YOU N00B

What else?

I really just wanted to reveal that ph is bi carb

secrecy, I don't has it.

Shells are pure calcium and calcium affects carbonate hardness by buffering the water to higher and higher pH levels.

So while, yes, the more calcium, the more carbonate hardness you will have it also RAISES pH continuously as it sits in the water.

I've kept a little bit of shell-grit in my tank as a cheap version of carbonate hardness buffer, but knowing full well only a pinch is needed, and that it will be continuously affecting my water chemistry.

The only way to guarantee a pH is by using a carbonate hardness buffer that has calcium and retardants to assure the desired pH.

However if you kept goldfish, I'd suggest using bi-carb all the time and just cranking the pH up weekly, find a dose that keeps the pH up at 7.5 and they'll be happy - weekly a 4 foot goldfish moderately stocked would crash to 6.1 easily.

informashions, I has it.

Last year I transferred my fish over to a larger tank used a different substrate. The old substrate in the previous tank acted as a pH buffer so I never had to worry about that.

With the new neutral substrate in the new tank however, the water was creeping into the acid side of things so I started adding bird shell grit thinking it will act as a buffer. It sort of did but it really screwed with the hardness of the water and quite a few of my fish died.